Losing prime to motor

Dealer to look at motor issues re pump etc but I thought someone on here may have had the problem and found it to be boat related. Fuel lines and bulb replaced. Boat runs great but after 3-5 hours on the water and while idling in gear it just dies. Never does it on plane. Prime the bulb and good to go until next time out. Thought it might be a gas cap on V20 since snaps instead of screws on. Anyone run into this? Just looking for possibilities. Be better if something would just break.

2. Member
    I hate intermitent issues! Just had the same thing with trim issues on my SHO.

3. Member
    I just fished out of a 2017 V20 this weekend and it had the same problem.

4. Member
    Factory is not aware of any problems on boat side so not sure if motor or boat issue. Thinking I just keep pumping bulb until something gives out once and for all or someone finds solution instead of chasing my tail back and fortg to dealer.

5. Member
    I have the same problem 2015 v20 with my mercury

6. Member
    Try this to rule out one issue that comes up every now and again. Buy some fuel hose and run a new length of line from the gas tank to the motor, use your primer bulb. See if this fixes the issue.

What can happen sometimes by any bass boat manufacture that sprays in flotation foam is......... when the foam expands it can push the fuel line against some part of the boat collapsing the inner diameter of the fuel line.

I had this happen to my Champion when I bought it new. I ordered an additional under seat fuel tank and had the same issues as the OP. I took the boat to several different dealers who could not find the issue. I didn't use that rear tank for probably 5 or 6 years when I got feed up not using it knowing it was a simple issue to fix. Soooooooooooooo..........

I ran a temporary new fuel line from the 2nd tank to the motor, it fixed the issue. Once I went to permanently install the fuel line is when I figured out the fuel line had been pinched off against the corner of a livewell. I couldn't even pull out the original fuel line it was so wedged in.

I'm glad that I didn't keep running my motor like that. I knew the motor was starving for fuel which means it would be leaning out. Not good for the motor.

7. Member
    Good suggestion but my line is completly exposed and was checked out by dealer last time they tried to fix the proble.

8. Member
    So I am thinking this may be just the v20 and the v21 that has these issues. A guy that was fishing the same tournament Sunday we were has a v 21 said he has the same issue. My 199 or the 211 I have now have never had this issue.

9. Member
    ^^^ I highly doubt this has anything to do with the boat ( vessel). This is a motor/fuel related problem so it can only be a few things such as........... fuel pump, primer bulb, fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel selector value if the vessel has more than one fuel tank or, engine air compressor as already mention above.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    Dealer to look at motor issues re pump etc but I thought someone on here may have had the problem and found it to be boat related. Fuel lines and bulb replaced. Boat runs great but after 3-5 hours on the water and while idling in gear it just dies. Never does it on plane. Prime the bulb and good to go until next time out. Thought it might be a gas cap on V20 since snaps instead of screws on. Anyone run into this? Just looking for possibilities. Be better if something would just break.
    After re-reading your original reply, that was a good call suggesting the gas cap. If it indeed is not sealing properly that could explain the lose of pressure over time, engine off, or just idling. When traveling at WOT or thereabouts , the fuel sloshing in the tank will build up pressure.

11. Member
    Thanks for all the input. Taking to dealer Friday. Will pass these suggestions on. Now that others are having same problem I am starting to think something in the boat like gas cap. Wonder if all the similar ones mentioned were mercs like mine or other brands? If other brands then more likely the boat. Feel like narrowing the search somewhat. I did notice that my cap releases a lot of pressure when opened but figured normal since ventless tank. Thanks again all.

12. Member
    Dealer has not found any problems. Don chimed in on another forum that I should just prime the bulb more often due to the vapors in todays fuels. Have you heard anything from the others having this problem as to a fix.

13. Member
    Update--Dealer found the gasket on the fuel pump was pinched/torn. Hope this was the problem. Faulty installation at factory. Time will tell.