Thumbs Up Restoring Cork rod handles

Just thought I'd share.
    I enjoy fishing with full cork handles and after years of use they developed small cracks and gouges and what not. They make stuff called Pit paste. One i used was made by roddancer i think. Basically like wood putty.
    I coated the entire handle with it. Waited about 30 minutes for it to dry. Then used 220 grit sandpaper to get the majority sanded off then finished with 400 grit. It makes the handle like brand new again.

Before i started i used magic eraser sponge thingy to clean them. It really cleans them well.

I then sealed the handles with a cork sealer u-40 cork seal.
    Last edited by Fisherofbass1975; 10-10-2017 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Add a photo

Pics please
    2008 Stratos 294 XL
    2008 Evinrude etec 200 HP H.O.

3. Member
    Can't seem to add one but i took a pic for you. Whats your email please.

4. Member
    I scrub them hard with a brush and warm soapy water and Comet. If there's excessive loss of filler, which is used in manufacturing, I use wood filler then sand with strip emery paper, usually about 220 grit.
    When I'm done they look really good.

PM sent with my cell. Text me some pictures and I’ll host them for you. I really want to see what this looks like.

6. Member
    I had some &#$*%&#! mice chew some cork handles and used Pit Paste to fill some pretty large areas. So far, so good but I haven't used them more than about 5 times since repairing.

Elmer's wood filler - golden oak. Perfect match for cork. Lasts a long time and is cheap to replace if it falls out again. 220 grit is perfect for rod grips. No need to go smoother.

8. Member

pit paste

The handles should be smooth. The same as they were when purchased new. They should be finished out with 400 grit. Elmers wood putty is fine as well though i think pit paste is specifically made for cork. Elmers wood putty is made for wood. Just my 2 cents though.

As alex said elmers in golden oak is what rodbuilders use. And for goodness sake sand that sucker as smooth as you want. Personally i like a little texture so i dont sling it in the lake after i catch a fish and my hands are slimy/wet. On a couple of builds i have even had a guy ask me to mix ground walnut shell in epoxy and finish the grips. Looked a bit odd but i bet they havent been dropped though. Its all a matter or preference

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    As alex said elmers in golden oak is what rodbuilders use. And for goodness sake sand that sucker as smooth as you want. Personally i like a little texture so i dont sling it in the lake after i catch a fish and my hands are slimy/wet. On a couple of builds i have even had a guy ask me to mix ground walnut shell in epoxy and finish the grips. Looked a bit odd but i bet they havent been dropped though. Its all a matter or preference
    I personally dislike extremely smooth handles. I purposely do not rehab my handles for that reason

11. Member
    I've found any grit much finer than 220 tends to quickly load up and quit sanding quickly. I buy the plumbers rolls of emery paper on a cloth backing, tear off a section about two feet long and clamp the rod in a shop vise wrapped in a multi layer washcloth, clamp on the reel seat area. Then, after washing, filling if necessary and drying, wrap the strip 180 degrees around the cork and polish it much like shining a shoe (in the olden days) alternately pulling either hands.

Here is his work. Looks good

13. Member
    I restored the cork in a similar fashion on two 13 Fishing Omen Blacks this earlier this year. Posted it on a local forum here

http://windycityfishing.com/forums/v...p?f=15&t=76138

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike son View Post
    I restored the cork in a similar fashion on two 13 Fishing Omen Blacks this earlier this year. Posted it on a local forum here

http://windycityfishing.com/forums/v...p?f=15&t=76138
    This works pretty good. You can also take the cork out of a wine bottle and sand it down into sawdust or shavings. Mix the shavings with wood glue to make a pretty thick
    paste and then just fill the voids with your finger, let it dry and then sand it down smooth with 220 paper. Wood filler works too.

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Elmer's wood filler - golden oak. Perfect match for cork. Lasts a long time and is cheap to replace if it falls out again. 220 grit is perfect for rod grips. No need to go smoother.
    Pretty much how i do it and the grips come out good as new