Motorguide X5 prop must be spun by hand to start.

2016 36V X5 105lb stopped working while on the water.

If I spin the prop by hand the motor will run fine. I was thinking the brushes were worn out. I took apart the lower unit to see if water had penetrated or brushes were gone. From what I could tell, it all looked clean. Put it back together and the it ran fine for 2 days on the water and then it started doing the same thing again. Its still under warranty but I don't have time to wait on MG to get it done.

Fire away!

2. Member
    I would first check all the connections going to the trolling motor. Electric motors need more current to start than to keep running. A bad connection may not be supplying enough current to start the motor. If you find nothing there, looks like you're going to need to take it to a Motorguide service center so they can properly diagnose.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Turning the prop by hand to use the motor will get you hatin' life in a heartbeat. If it's out of warranty and defective drop back by for additional hints, but if the connections are good and you can get it fixed for free.........

4. Member
    bad armature. have a bad spot on it and once you put it past the bad spot by hand it will go.

5. Member
    Finally got my motor fixed. The main board was replaced, under warranty!

6. Member
    *update* the board did not fix the motor.... the shop replaced the armature and now its fixed. "shallowhal" called it

7. Member
    Your symptoms were of a bad spot on the armature, but like John said, since you spent the big bucks, use the free service.