Trolling motor swap question

I'm wanting to get rid of my mg tour 109 and go with a Minn kota fortrex. My question is will a 52in shaft work or should I go back with a 45in. I have a 2013 Basscat Cougar. Will it bolt up the same or will I have to make it fit.
    2009 Triton 21 hp pro
    2020 Mercury 250 pro xs 4 stroke

2. Member
    Bolt pattern will be the same. You may have to take the starboard side panel off the Fortrex to expose more mounting holes.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Bolt pattern will be the same. You may have to take the starboard side panel off the Fortrex to expose more mounting holes.
    Yes, this^^^^^. Very simple. I went from 45" Motorguide to a 52" Fortrex,no problem. There are days that I wish I had the 42" and days I`m glad I had the 52". So unless you fish Big water and deal with big waves alot 45" should be OK.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

Do you have to adjust anything for it being a bigger motor.l?

5. Member
    If you have a cover, you likely will have to get it released. MK sits higher than MG.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    I personally would go with a 52”. I have a 45” on my boat and just with waves from boats driving my motor comes almost all the way out of the water.

Thanks guys for your help. I'm gonna get the 52".

8. Member
    Drawbacks of the 52 over the 45 include not being able to open the port rod box with the trolling motor stowed. As mentioned above, the holes will line up. Depending the angle of the mount of the Motorguide, the Fortrex may hang off the port side a little. Let me know if I can help.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    Drawbacks of the 52 over the 45 include not being able to open the port rod box with the trolling motor stowed. As mentioned above, the holes will line up. Depending the angle of the mount of the Motorguide, the Fortrex may hang off the port side a little. Let me know if I can help.
    John
    John, you keep saying the rod box wont open with the 52 inch but I think you will find it will open, but is only partially blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by G Rod View Post
    John, you keep saying the rod box wont open with the 52 inch but I think you will find it will open, but is only partially blocked.
    It opens far enough to where you can pull rods out with no issue.
    2016 BassCat Cougar FTD

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G Rod View Post
    Cougar and Puma have the same rod box. I have the Puma with with a 45" Ultrex. Rod box will open enough that if you're on the outside, you get to stand on something, reach around the end and "fish" for the rod you want while holding the lid. I have installed the 52" on a Cougar and was blocked apx the same way. yes the rod box will open, but not enough to support itself while you're getting rods out. I've been there / done that.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]