2017 Mercury 250 Pro XS fuel lines

250 Pro XS SN:2B522866

Only have about 8 hours on motor and has run great until idling out for start of tourney and suddenly choked out. Wouldnt start right back so went to fuel bulb and pumped bulb. Bulb wont get tight and the valve connected to the tank is making gurgling noise. Sat for a few minutes and then it started and didnt have issues the rest of the day. In reading posts trying to see what it might be i read about the fuel lines and all mine are black with gray writing. Wondering if this could already be an issue and if so if i need to make them change lines to the new mercury gray with blue writing. I have only used Non Eth fuel with the cocktail. After first 4 hours of break in i have also been noticing my rpm's at wot are only 5300 to 5400 running about 63 mph. Could there be a hotfoot fuel issue? Just trying to figure it all out. I have had no alarms. Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to pump bulb firm before each engine start. That's "Each One".

Lines should be EPA Rated, A1-15 from tank to bulb, and B1-15 from bulb to engine. There is a splice connection just outside the cowling where the "boat" line would currently connect.

As for the WOT performance, that's WAY low. Could be that it's not actually reaching the WOT position, OR you may have other problems. Given the major difference between recommended propping RPM's and where you are, this might be something you should take up with the selling dealer (or your local/authorized dealer).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks Don. It does list those lines rated at what you mention so i guess im good there. On my last boat i never heard the sound im hearing while pumping the bulb. It almost sounds as if there is air getting in to not allow the suction coming from that valve going into tank. I am taking to dealer tomm. so i will have them look at that also. Thank you

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You may simply be hearing the anti-siphon valve (especially if you don't rotate the bulb to point "arrow up towards sky" while pumping it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    What if it is B 1-15 on both sides of bulb. Will that create a problem.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassm1n View Post
    What if it is B 1-15 on both sides of bulb. Will that create a problem.
    Depends on the length from the Tank to the Bulb. If the total length of line (end to end, including bulb) is less than 9' in length, this MAY be acceptable. There are some stringent standards for line used below-deck, so that line from the tank to the bulb would have to be pretty short.

7. Member
    It is. Less than 3 feet.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You should be fine, then.

9. Member
    Don just thought i would let you know at least one of the issues was my hotfoot. It was only giving me about 70 % throttle before hitting the stop at the back of the pedal. First thing he checked after explaining the issue. He thinks the stalling issue is vapor. Just reiterated the bulb being pumped before each start. Thanks again Don for all you do!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar