Smartcraft hours meter seems fishy

I have a 2015 225 HP Optimax Pro XS with a Smartcraft gage (v 7.0) that seems to show way more hours than my motor is actually running. Noticed it seemed fishy a few weeks ago so I starting keeping track of time the motor was running and comparing to the smartcraft. Seems to be off by as much as 50%. Any suggestions?

2. Member
    Hours are computer controlled, so they are accurate. The Smartcraft just displays the info from the computer.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Engine hours are based on "seconds that there is an RPM signal provided to the PCM". So it the flywheel is turning, it's logging hours.

It would be extremely, "almost unheard of" rare for engine hours to be accruing inappropriately.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    OK. I'll continue to monitor, thanks

5. Member
    If i suspected my smartcraft hours were logged incorrect I would inspect all of the terminators on the motor and boat, make sure none are missing or half plugged in then I would have a dealer hook his computer to the ecm and check what the hours read, I have seen smartcraft gauges fail, and hours be wrong either to the gauge failure or a missing terminator.

6. Member
    OK thanks. I'll check that out

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Perhaps the simplest method to verify is to compare hours via the Computer Diagnostic System. They should agree with each other.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor