USA Ranger repower with Suzuki

Just repowered my 08 Z520 with a 250SS. Motor starts right away and is awesome getting the Z520 out of the water. My top speed is really lacking compared to my Etec. I am having a hard time getting the boat to break 62 MPH. I am running a Suzuki 4 blade 30 pitch prop at 5600 RPM’s. This is the same prop that Suzuki used in their test data that showed the boat running 76.5 MPH at 6250 RPM in their test data. It seems like the motor should have more to give for top end speed then where I am currently. Any insight appreciated.

2. Member
    I'm having a similar issue with my boat and I have a 29P prop. Currently, my best speed so far is 68 mph and turning 5500 rpms before it starts chine walking, therefore, I slow it down since I'm not experienced enough to handle my boat when it chine walks. Not sure if you tried it yet, but have you tried getting on plane with full live wells? This weekend, I wasn't able to get on plane either with full live wells without having my partner get on the bow. Granted, I also have 2-12ft Talons that are probably bogging me down as well and I'll probably take them off next time to see if that helps with getting on plane or not. Going forward, I'm probably going to drop down to either a 27 or 28P prop since that's what Chad Pipkens runs on his Bass Cat and he's running approximately 74 mph with a tournament loaded boat.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member
    I run a 05 basscat puma with a 250ss and I'm turning a 27p at 6200 rpm's at 70mph. I do bump 6300 sometimes so I'm thinking of going to a 28. Sounds like both of you need less pitch. I do have a like new 29p suzuki prop if anyone is interested.

4. Member
    Are you guys running three or four blade props?

5. Member
    Booter how much throttle do you have left at 5500 RPM? I am full throttle at 5500.

6. Member
    I'm running a 4 bladed prop and still have plenty of throttle. I can get the rpms up there by playing with my jackplate and trim some, but then the boat starts getting to squirrely for my liking.

7. Member
    That's really weird that it would get squirrely. I have the exact same setup and at 70 mph it's like riding on a cloud. I could drive it with my knee.

8. Member
    Forgot to mention I'm running a 4 blade croxton razor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Meyer8043 View Post
    That's really weird that it would get squirrely. I have the exact same setup and at 70 mph it's like riding on a cloud. I could drive it with my knee.
    I also have a Gorilla Hull on my boat that's probably causing me to have some of these handling issues as well. I just need to spend a day fine tuning the jack plate and find that sweet spot, but I also don't run WOT all day either.

10. Member
    On rain delay here in Iowa before I can try and tune this big monster in to my boats liking. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday will be better weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer8043 View Post
    I run a 05 basscat puma with a 250ss and I'm turning a 27p at 6200 rpm's at 70mph. I do bump 6300 sometimes so I'm thinking of going to a 28. Sounds like both of you need less pitch. I do have a like new 29p suzuki prop if anyone is interested.
    Sent you a PM on the 29p Suzuki Prop.
    08 - CHARGER 496 / SUZUKI 250 SS

12. Member
    I can’t find the PM on the prop you are trying to sell.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake520 View Post
    I can’t find the PM on the prop you are trying to sell.
    Did you ever get a chance to go out and get your motor/boat dialed in?

14. Member
    I have not. It rained here most of the weekend. I did raise the jackplate 1/2” tonight and am going to try to get out tomorrow afternoon. This may sound stupid but everyone keeps telling me around ten hours they picked up a couple hundred RPM. Did you notice this when you broke yours in?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake520 View Post
    I have not. It rained here most of the weekend. I did raise the jackplate 1/2” tonight and am going to try to get out tomorrow afternoon. This may sound stupid but everyone keeps telling me around ten hours they picked up a couple hundred RPM. Did you notice this when you broke yours in?
    I haven't noticed that yet, but I've yet to reach 10 hours and currently sitting around 8hrs I believe. But it wouldn't surprise me that it's programmed in the motor's ECU for break in procedures similar as it warns you to get it serviced for it's 20 hour service as well.

16. Member
    Made it out tonight and caught some good fish for a change. The river here has been really high after large amounts of rain. Fishing seems like it’s tourning a corner for the better. Sadly enough the high winds kept me from getting to run the motor at WOT for any real length of time. The little bit of running I did made me think I am still suffering from low RPM despite jackplate raise.