2017 115hp ProXS CT issue

I was out today on my 2017 RT188 115HP ProXS CT. I have just switched the prop from a 24p tempest to a 21p tempest per Rangers & Mercurys recommendation to have rpms around 6300 wot. So today while making a 30min run at full throttle, when i reached my spot and backed the throttle down the engine started missing. Sounded like it downshifted, then started idling rough and died. I was able to restart, but then it beeped and died. I Let it sit for a few minutes and it started and I had to go easy onto the throttle to get the boat back up on plane without it dying. When I got home and checked it over I didn't see anything abnormal, except when I opened the fuel cap it let out a big hiss of pressure that it normally doesn't do. So my thoughts are, maybe the fuel demand valve malfunction or the new prop is making the engine overheat due to high rpm's. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks for any help,

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those are possibilities- and there are a couple dozen others as well.

This is something you really need to get the dealer to check for you, it should be readily available to them if they follow the below recommendations:

WARNING HORN "BEEPED"

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Those are possibilities- and there are a couple dozen others as well.

This is something you really need to get the dealer to check for you, it should be readily available to them if they follow the below recommendations:

WARNING HORN "BEEPED"
    Yeah, im calling them today since their closed on Monday's. It was the long beeeep also. It only has 30hrs on it.

Question for you, would you rather have a Mercmonitor Smatrcraft gauge, Vessel View hooked to my HDS gen 3 or a Mobile vessel view...?

Thanks again,

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Choice 1 or 2 would be the BEST (whichever you would prefer, primarily). The Vessel View Mobile is a very inexpensive (entry-level) option, but it does have some limitations.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Choice 1 or 2 would be the BEST (whichever you would prefer, primarily). The Vessel View Mobile is a very inexpensive (entry-level) option, but it does have some limitations.
    VVM limitations, water psi and I read that you need to link it to your phone each time you start the motor, is this true? Any other short cummings? Thanks

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cards21 View Post
    VVM limitations, water psi and I read that you need to link it to your phone each time you start the motor, is this true? Any other short cummings? Thanks
    Those are the two primary drawbacks. Water pressure is important... but it can be read on an analog gauge if need be.

Having to re-sync with the phone EVERY time you start the engine is likely to result in "well I'm not going to bother "this" time..... BEEEEP".

7. Member
    Update, it's staying the night at my dealer/service. Says it's showing low voltage to some sensors from the computer. Good news is it never over temped. When he plugged it into the laptop is showed a bunch of error codes then they disappeared. So he wants to call Mercury and go over his findings with them. They are a Mercury top service center and are the guys that rig most of the west coast pro's boat like Ish Monroe who was there today also. So I have faith they will get me going.

8. Member
    After hours of my dealer and Mercury running test, they found it to be a loose connection of a sensor pin.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drtyrat30 View Post
    After hours of my dealer and Mercury running test, they found it to be a loose connection of a sensor pin.
    That is great news. Be happy happy happy. Could have been something bad.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tnbassin View Post
    That is great news. Be happy happy happy. Could have been something bad.
    For sure, Thanks. Now it's time to get a Vessel View Mobile, so I can at least get an idea of what's going on with my outboard.