Thread: Spinnerbaits

Spinnerbaits

I hate them. Can't remember the last time I threw one. That being said, I read the post where Dave caught a smallie on BIP with one, then Jim said he'd been doing well with them lately as well, then a guy at work whose son just got into fishing shows me pics of a couple of nice ones his son caught on Contoocook. Yesterday we had a club team tournament on Suncook and I thought, what the hell, I'll give it a shot. I don't even carry any with me so I picked up Bob's rod that had a spinnerbait tied on. First cast of the tournament was a 3 lb largemouth. I'd like to say that it got better from there but that was the only bass I caught with it. I did catch a couple of big pickerel, including one that bent it up pretty good.

It all worked out well. We caught our limit and had enough to win and take lunker. It was a strange day with no real pattern. We caught fish on spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, jerkbaits, drop shots, Carolina rigs, and Senkos.

Ranger Z521 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Nice work Bob

Typical fall pattern in my book. Throw the tackle box at them.

Really the spinner bait is off and on up in our country. Under the right conditions it can't be beat and other times they are worthless. Early and late in the day; and if the wind is blowing-get it out and don't lay it down. Smallies love chartreuse or white/chartreuse with painted blades. That's the only colors we throw in Northern Michigan.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    Nice work Bob
    Dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Basscatfrank View Post
    Dick.
    That's not nice lol Awesome job at you figuring out fish eat spinnerbaits in the fall Frank .. is that better lol

That's not nice lol Awesome job at you figuring out fish eat spinnerbaits in the fall Frank .. is that better lol
    Yes. Thank you.

" Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Nice work Bob
    Nice one, Jerry

I've been telling you that for years Frank
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

Sorry, still not sold. I threw it quite a bit and only had the one bass on it. I caught much more with the c-rig, drop shot, and senko.

Throw it on something besides the sissy sticks you use.. I'm sure you won't believe it but huge difference in how they run on cranking rod vs sissy stick

12. Member
    Most of my biggest fish have came on Spinnerbaits in the fall...followed by a jig, deep crank or blade bait.

its silly to not have a spinnerbait out in the fall....

13. Member
    Spring and fall, my go to bait is the spinnerbait...except this fall. Haven't caught a single fish on one in a few months now, this warmer weather that has been hanging on is kind of messing with the fish for me at least. Typically at this time of the year, if there's even the slightest breath of wind, I can catch tons on the spinnerbait. Hasn't paid off for me yet this fall though, but I expect it'll start getting a lot better starting this weekend.

My PB largemouth came on a spinnerbait at 6.25 lbs, and caught it in the fall as well.

14. Member
    I wore them out after Labor Day on BIP with a spinnerbait as long as it wasn't slick and there was any wind or ripple at all. Of course I had to shake off a ton of gators, but sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.
    5 Short of a limit

Fished a T yesterday. Only got 4, but three were on a spinnerbaits, with tons of followers and short strikes. And some hit when there was no wind.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

16. Member
    So I haven't fished a spinner bait in probably the last 6 years. I typically throw a swim jig now. After reading the post I figured I would go back to the basics this weekend. My dad wanted to take me out for a few hours for my birthday like we did when I was a kid. His boat with him on the tm aND I didn't want to unpack half of my boat and bring a ton of crap to fish for 3 hrs so I tied on a spinnerbait. Sure glad I did. Ended up with 14 bass all between 2 and 3 lbs in about 2.5 hrs of fishing.... Guess maybe I will add a spinnerbait back into my fall arsenal from now on.....