Going old school

Wife got me a flintlock rifle
    The longer i hunt, the more primitive i've been leaning towards.
    Started out with shotguns, and rifles. Moved on to bow hunting and inline muzzleloader.
    Now a flintlock.

Anyone have any words of advice for hunting with one? I read alot about needing to keep the flints
    dry if there is any precipitation outside. I also picked up some FFFG by American pioneer.
    We have a "flintlock only" season nearby that I plan on hunting in a few months

R9250801_MountainRifle_Flint.jpg
    Last edited by The gurg; 10-09-2017 at 12:36 PM.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

2. Member

3. Member
    Thanks man, I'm going to probably pick one of those up.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

4. Member
    Keep it clean. Clean it after every time you shoot it. Don't leave it loaded for very long. Don't leave in a vehicle. My dad has a cva that is now a wall hanger due to it being left in his vehicle the stuck in the gun safe. Gun powder soaked up moisture and eat the the barrel up.

5. Member
    Shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more! Experiment with different loads to see which load is best...My favorite season!

My FIL built me a flintlock for my birthday, he said the only requirement is that I shoot a deer with it. This year I'll take it out and give her a try. Only good advice is hold your aim due to the delay fire. Chick, flash...boom.

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    My FIL built me a flintlock for my birthday, he said the only requirement is that I shoot a deer with it. This year I'll take it out and give her a try. Only good advice is hold your aim due to the delay fire. Chick, flash...boom.
    This!!!

8. Member
    FFG black powder is recommended for 50 caliber and larger bores. FFFG is faster burning and recommended for pistol and small bore rifles. FFFG may be safe in your rifle but it may be something you want to check on before shooting. Also most use FFFFG in the flash pan with flint locks since it ignites easier to get the powder in the bore burning.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNF View Post
    FFG black powder is recommended for 50 caliber and larger bores. FFFG is faster burning and recommended for pistol and small bore rifles. FFFG may be safe in your rifle but it may be something you want to check on before shooting. Also most use FFFFG in the flash pan with flint locks since it ignites easier to get the powder in the bore burning.
    Thanks for the info, I double checked the book that came with it and it has load data for FFFG as well as FFG. Have you ever tried using FFFG for the flashpan? I've read mixed things on it. I'm trying to avoid buying more powder than I really have to.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dnolen View Post
    Keep it clean. Clean it after every time you shoot it. Don't leave it loaded for very long. Don't leave in a vehicle. My dad has a cva that is now a wall hanger due to it being left in his vehicle the stuck in the gun safe. Gun powder soaked up moisture and eat the the barrel up.
    Thanks. I made that same mistake when I was 16 with an old blackpowder. It locked the breechplug up!
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The gurg View Post
    Thanks for the info, I double checked the book that came with it and it has load data for FFFG as well as FFG. Have you ever tried using FFFG for the flashpan? I've read mixed things on it. I'm trying to avoid buying more powder than I really have to.
    I would try the FFFG that you have and if there is no hang fires go with it since it is recommended in your manual.

The only flint lock rifles I have fired were a friends and they used FFG with FFFFG in the flash pin. A few shots with the FFFG should let you know how it's going to work.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNF View Post
    I would try the FFFG that you have and if there is no hang fires go with it since it is recommended in your manual.

The only flint lock rifles I have fired were a friends and they used FFG with FFFFG in the flash pin. A few shots with the FFFG should let you know how it's going to work.
    Thanks for the reply. I tried FFFG in the pan, and couldn't get an ignition. I tried clearing the flashhole and all the tricks and just couldn't get it to go off. I'll try the FFFFG, but unfortunately everyone is out of stock til next week.

Question for the group, has anyone ever mortar and pestled black powder? I've read that it's okay. And other people act like it's super dangerous. I only want to do 10 volumetric grains of it at a time, and with a ceramic pestle. The guy at a store recommended doing it to get the FFFFG equivalent. I start my new job in a week so I'm trying to get it sighted and such as soon as I can while I can make it out to the range.

Edit. It's bp substitute (American pioneer)
    Last edited by The gurg; 10-19-2017 at 02:41 PM.
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO