Thread: Axiom Questions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar

Axiom Questions

I got out on the water for 4 days and got to use my new Axiom setups! They are really easy to use and very impressive so far. I have a few questions for the guys who have been running them.

Can you enable duplicate waypoints? When I transferred all my waypoints from my Lowrance I lost all the names.

What are you running for side vision settings? I found when changing the zoom, I had to constantly play with gain and intensity because it changed with zooming. What color pallete do you find the best?

Can you smooth the GPS track or is it normal to be jagged?

How do you enable sonar live and have you found it useful?

I still have a lot to learn but I'm really happy so far! Thanks!

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Not sure on the waypoint, I don't have it networked to my other units yet. I know its easier to get to them to edit and delete etc.

On the side I usually at 80 ft and ping speed down to around 60-70. I use it in auto, until I find something I really want to dial into then go to manual if need be.

You can set up how often and distance on marks its under the data menu, tracks.

Live on the older units you had to go to Presentation and advanced I believe, you can also, adjust how much of the over lay shows. You have to have the Navioncs maps. After running live sonar, connect Boats US app and it will pull off the sonar logs and update them to Navionics. In about a week open the boat apps and update the map, then connect to the unit and it will update the maps in the Axiom. Yes I use it all the time, Just havent on the Axiom, Waiting for LH3 for my ES units.

3. Member
    Last edited by Jig34; 05-02-2022 at 01:42 PM.

4. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies. The duplicate waypoints question was in reference to the naming convention. I had a bunch of waypoints labeled "tree" etc but now it won't let me create two waypoints with the same name. Is there anything I can change to allow waypoints with the same name?

5. Member
    Got it - I’ll check today

6. Member
    Last edited by Jig34; 05-02-2022 at 01:42 PM.

7. Member
    In the old LH2 there was a pretty good selection of waypoint symbols. There were symbols for trees, rocks, ledge, etc. I am guessing that these are not available in LH3? I find the old symbols useful - since I am old and have trouble remembering why I mark stuff.

8. Member
    Pretty much all the same symbols available. I just keep it simple with x’s.

Grass, tree, rock, ledges, fish, bridges, etc

9. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    It would definitely be nice if there were plans down the road to allow this. Maybe it's just something I have to get used to but this means all my names for my Lowrance waypoints are lost and the only way I can determine what they are is by revisiting each spot which can add up to a lot of wasted time. Especially some nice I have 1500 waypoints... I'll have to do some digging. Maybe I can import into Navionics with the original names and change the symbols/names...

10. Member
    I think changing symbols to match names is your best chance

11. Member
    I’ll ask around and see if anyone else has any ideas.

12. Member
    You might be able to import your Lowrance waypoints into a .gpx waypoint software and reassign the waypoint names (get rid of all the duplicates) and give them the appropriate symbol (tree, rock, etc). I am not sure which waypoint software would be best to use.

Here is a link to the .gpx waypoint symbol attributes that should work:

http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=27

I got my 2 Axiom 9's installed and was working with the sonarlive feature. I scanned a ton of stuff and got some pretty good readings. A couple spots that I might have to go over again because I guess it got a bad reading or something but overall, not bad. I finished scanning all day, got home, and uploaded the data in Navionics. I now have all the updated info on my console screen and I can see the new contour lines but it's not showing the same contour lines on the front unit. The front unit is still pulling the generic sonar depths from the Nav chip in the console unit. How do I get the front unit to pull these new contour lines that are showing on the main unit?

The 2D sonar and downvision is way better than what I was getting on my Helix 7. For the Sidevision, it's not as bad as some people made it sound. Does it need a little work? Yea, but Raymarine has been open about them continuing to get it better. Playing with the options make it easier to see shadows. Attached, you'll see a photo from my phone (sorry, just haven't bothered to see how to get the image off the unit yet). I first thought it was some sort of ladder or something but seems unlikely in this part of the lake. There wasn't a lot of fish on this spot but you can see the one on the bottom right with the shadow underneath and some small baitfish above the ditch on the left. Some details show up better on my helix 7 side image but I'm sure that the Axioms and the RV-100 will get better in time.

I have some other screen shots saved in the unit that will look way better than this garbage cell phone shot. I'll post those in the other thread soon once I figure out how to pull those images off and get them on the computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    The live view is only on the one unit. it doesnt share that. Once Navionics updates the map then the new map contour lines will show up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    The live view is only on the one unit. it doesnt share that. Once Navionics updates the map then the new map contour lines will show up there.
    i updated after I got back, waited a week until it said everything was successful and updated my card again. I then stuck it in my console unit like normal and see the data but it doesn’t show on the front unit.

All if my files were uploaded and it said it could take some time to complete the upload. I checked back 4 days later and all logs had a check mark and were successful.

Wait, so you’re saying there isn’t a way to view the new contour lines on the other unit?

17. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Not the live contour lines!

when you record a sonar log/ live sonar. The data can be sent to Navionics and they will update the Navionics map. Then when you update the map the new data is loaded on the card and it will mirror on all networked units.

I believe the live data is only on the recording unit.

Jig can verify this?

18. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Make sure on the other unit to select the sonar chart and not the nav chart.

Ok. I understand what you’re saying now. I kind of figured that it wouldn’t pick up the Live sonar when I was out there.

Ive checked multiple times to make sure my front unit is on the proper chart and it’s still not pulling it. I’ve checked the visibility option to make sure it wasn’t hidden too. I’ve tried it almost daily this week and can’t get it to work properly.

20. Member
    Pretty sure Live is only on the unit recording. Once you send it to Navionics, they clean the lines up a little and make it available to download. Honestly, I need to double check that though. Last serious charting I did was on Rend Lake, IL and we were live mapping 2 different units with different transducers. So I can’t remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast