External GPS mounting locations

I don't currently have an external GPS. I've read about why you would want one, but honestly, I didn't figure it would be an issue for me.

Yesterday I mapped a whole bunch of water, and I've got some pretty weird spots, stuff that I know isn't right, and it's due to the offset of the graph location vs the transducer, I'm thinking.

So - I'm going to get an external GPS puck and mount it in the rear as close to the transducer as I can. That's the solution, right?

Where are you guys mounting these things? I don't want to drill holes in the sponson, and mounting it on the deck would leave it open to being kicked by a coangler.. Are they waterproof? Perhaps in the splashwell? Looking for any feedback on this.

The boat is a Stratos 201 Pro Elite, if it matters.

Thanks!!

2. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    It needs a clear "view" of the sky, I would say avoid the splash well.

One on the bow cap & one on the back corner is where I have mine.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    It needs a clear "view" of the sky, I would say avoid the splash well.

One on the bow cap & one on the back corner is where I have mine.
    Yeah, but you've got a tin boat, don't you? If not, my apologies, that wasn't meant as an insult. :)

Yes, it needs a clear view of the sky, but the splashwell is open to the sky on a bass boat. Why wouldn't that work? I mean, it wouldn't have 180 degree view, but perhaps a 135 degree view above it would be open. ?

Also, I'm looking at the one without the heading sensor, since mounting location is the primary importance for this one. I would hate to get the HS one and then have to mount it on the opposite side of the boat from the ducer location. That wouldn't exactly solve the problem I'm having. :)

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    No problem whether incidental or on purpose on the tin rig - I looked long N hard before I chose this one....

I ain't sKEEReD ta scratch the old biaTTTCH and even though I can't outrun a skinny hull with a big thumper on top - I can make their rides lumpy and roll one over if I blow by close....LOL!

I'm clear on the GPS , I recently added a second HS and I didn't get rid of my GRP because I had to - I wanted a spare HS because I want decent mapping like the next guy...and a backup.

I think you want the laws of physics to bend for you & "try" to cheat them out of 45 of viewing angle??

C'Mon!!
    What did you expect to us to tell you - yeah go ahead & cut off 45° out of 180° - losing 25% of your horizon isn't going to bother you with accuracy & fix??

We preach to do it right, and for your sake - - you have to or don't waste time & money- right?

Buy a stem mount, if you want to MOUNT it in the splash well, make sure it sticks above the deck - it's bad enough you're probably going to experience possible magnetic interference from your engine that you should test for before you get to settled in....

If the engine drives the compass nuts, you're moving it away for certain.

Hope that helps.
    RAS

Go get the GPS install PDF @HB - I think the GRP & HS are in the same file; at least the printed manual for the last 5 or 6 pucks I saw had them in the container.

GRP or HS = same book.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Member
    I did this and it works great! Mounted it under the access "disk" in the splashwell. It's directly above my transducer and I didn't have to drill holes in fiberglass plus it's out of the way.

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    That big block doesn't want to spin your compass?

I would always want the strongest signals possible, glass and hardware can knock off your gain & boost S/N ratio.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

7. Member
    You keep saying compass.. I'm not going to get the HS one, just the grp - that way there is no compass to worry about, and I should be able to put the thing almost anywhere, including next to the motor. Right?

8. Member
    That big block doesn't want to spin your compass?

I would always want the strongest signals possible, glass and hardware can knock off your gain & boost S/N ratio.
    The one I have back there is not a HS model and is connected to my console Onix. My HS model is on the bow for my Helix.

9. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Gotcha.

Yup - I just figured if you're getting one... as most would get the HS if dropping the coin.

I got a great deal on some GRP's a few months ago, I wish I had a few more to sell....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

10. Member
    Gotcha.

Yup - I just figured if you're getting one... as most would get the HS if dropping the coin.

I got a great deal on some GRP's a few months ago, I wish I had a few more to sell....
    If I do decide to get an HS, I would mount it on the bow as the other gentleman did. I can't go slower than ~3mph with the outboard running (sitting at the helm), and the regular GPS does just fine with heading direction in that case, so I'd only really need it for while on the trolling motor. May as well have it give me location from at the trolling motor, rather than 20 feet behind me. :)

11. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Agreed.

That's how I ran the 1st HS I bought several years ago - right over the TM XDCR.

Test for magnetic interference there also.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

12. Banned
    pick a spot

13. Banned
    this is what happens when you have 2 many heading sources