‘17 Z185 Helix10 Tranducer install location?

I’ve been trying to find some info on where to mount the transducer on my ‘17 Z185. I thought that I read somewhere that this may be the same hull as a Z518, ???. I can’t find any info or pictures. I’m looking at the bottom of the hull and all the things I’ve read say to have the transducer at the waterline when on plane. The problem is that the where the bottom of the hull is on the pad(the spot where the live well holes and main plug are), I can’t install it there, even if this is the correct location due to the trailer. It would rip the transducer from the rear roller.

On the transom seems the obvious choice, it will be close the the engine and I’m wondering how this will effect it’s performance on plane. Not WOT, but cruising at say 30mph.

The Helix I have is not a SI unit, just DI. My plan is to install a Solix 12 this coming Feb at the console along side the Helix or maybe just the solix. In the mean time I’d like to have my Helix at the console. The transducer location is the only thing holding back this install.

If if anyone could help I would appreciate it. Apologies if I’ve gotten any terminology incorrect, if please correct me.

Thanks in advance!

- BP

2. Member
    Can anyone post pictures of their install location for a 518 or 185/175. Thank you.

All i need to know is if the rear of the transom is a suitable location on this boat. I believe it is but before I got drilling I would like to see other installs.

3. Member
    I have a Helix 10 on a 2017 Z185. My transducer is centered on th hull under the outboard and I almost hit it every time I take off the transom saver bar.

Boat is in the shop right now but I’ll try to take a pic and send you when I get it back this weekend.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHS Boat Captain View Post
    I have a Helix 10 on a 2017 Z185. My transducer is centered on th hull under the outboard and I almost hit it every time I take off the transom saver bar.

Boat is in the shop right now but I’ll try to take a pic and send you when I get it back this weekend.
    Thank you! How does the sonar work on plane, pretty decent? This is my first boat so all this is new to me. I have the Merc 150 4 stroke on mine, I use the “my wedge” on the tilt/trim unit.

5. Member
    I’ve got similar setup - Merc 150 fourstroke. (no wedge though) Have a Helix 10 G1 with SI/DI/Sonar at the console and a Helix 7 G2 DI at the bow mounted on the trolling motor, networked together. Very happy with those but none of the graphs work well when on plane (except GPS / maps of course).

6. Member
    Here’s my transducer mounted right under the engine / on the transom. Humminbird Helix 10 SI/DI/GPS on a 2017 Z185. Almost hit it when I take the transom saver off each time. But seems to work well placed there.

Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    Here’s my transducer mounted right under the engine / on the transom. Humminbird Helix 10 SI/DI/GPS on a 2017 Z185. Almost hit it when I take the transom saver off each time. But seems to work well placed there.

Nice! Thanks. I went ahead and placed mine in that location. Works great except nothing at speed. Going to try a different location and see how it does. Thanks for the pics.

I see see you have a jack plate, what kind of speed are you getting? Standard prop?

8. Member
    Yep that location seems good for transducer but have never gotten any readings at any high speed when moving around on plane.

Standard prop (Mercury Tempest Plus II) on my fourstroke 150 with a 6” manual jack plate. Max speed so far has been 59 mph on a low tank of gas.

9. Member
    Yep that location seems good for transducer but have never gotten any readings at any high speed when moving around on plane.

Standard prop (Mercury Tempest Plus II) on my fourstroke 150 with a 6” manual jack plate. Max speed so far has been 59 mph on a low tank of gas.

Hmmm. No doubt. I’m hitting 58 with a full tank. GPS. Same prop, no jack plate.

I’ll report back when I figure a new location and let ya know how it works.

10. Member
    Definitely let me know. Main reason for my jack plate too was because I’ve got 12’Talon that mount on easily to it.