Broke pin off wire harness - what do I do now?!

The last pin broke off of my trailer wiring harness. This is for a 2005 Skeeter custom EZ trailer. It's a Taylor harness that has 10 wires going into it. It looks like Part #2070 on the EZ Trailer website is an exact match. However that includes all new wiring too. So, for $60 I could get that and cut off everything and just splice it in. Or rewire the whole trailer which is probably the better choice since its 12 years old.

I only have about 6 weeks of fishing left for the year. I was thinking to get me through the season I could cut the 3 white wires feeding that broken pin connector and bypassing to the trailer harness going directly into the female end on the vehicle. It should work in theory. Then rewire the entire trailer over the winter.

Anyone ever had to remedy this type of situation?

2. Member
    What connector on your vehicle?
    Just get the proper connector end and replace the male end of it on trailer. Easy remedy.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    What connector on your vehicle?
    Just get the proper connector end and replace the male end of it on trailer. Easy remedy.
    Yes but I didn't want to buy a $60 harness from EZLoader and cut off everything but the harness. Here is my harness:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just get a new 5 pin harness from the nearest auto parts store and splice all like colors together. Had to do it to mine.
    Last edited by Iowa Bass Hunter; 10-09-2017 at 10:45 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Bass Hunter View Post
    Just get a new 5 pin harness from the nearest auto parts store and splice all like colors together. Had to do it to mine.
    Yeah, that's what EZLoader said to do. I didn't realize the same color wires on the trailer side of the harness were there in place of a loop system. That's what I'll do thank you.

I also found on etrailer a junction box and coiled trailer hookup (https://www.etrailer.com/p-38656.html). I like this a lot to prevent further issues with the crappy 4 PIN harness currently on there. Also, I have to stow my 7 blade truck adapter after I launch my boat all the time to prevent someone stealing it. That has happened to friends of mine.

i'd advise going the new plug and junction box route. its a much cleaner look, and if you should ever have to do it again, it's much easier.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    i'd advise going the new plug and junction box route. its a much cleaner look, and if you should ever have to do it again, it's much easier.
    Have you done this? Any lessons learned? Or photos of the install?

I prefer the "fewer connections are better" method. You can get a 7pin connector and connect your existing trailer wiring to it if the existing wiring is long enough. If not you may be able to find a trailer wiring harness with 7pin connector (call EZ). If no 7pin harness, get a 5 pin trailer harness, cut the 5pin connector off and connect to a 7pin connector. I am referring to the 7pin type connector that you can open and make direct connections to - not something you would have to make wire splices with. This eliminates the adapter, but it will limit you to connecting to only vehicles with an existing 7pin system.

9. Member
    If you're that tight buy a male/female spade or pin/socket crimp on set and just jumper around the plug until you rewire.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If you're that tight buy a male/female spade or pin/socket crimp on set and just jumper around the plug until you rewire.
    Many thanks for the advice. Like minds......

I ordered a junction box and cable:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...tro/38656.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Barg...54006-043.html

Shouldn't take too much time to wire it up but I also bought a pin connector to jump it if needed in the interim.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisalecia View Post
    Have you done this? Any lessons learned? Or photos of the install?
    https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...tro/38656.html
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    I actually completed this last week. Install was a breeze and 7 blade cable is super heavy duty. Now I don't have to worry about my 4 to 7 adapter getting stolen at the ramp