Thread: finesse fishing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    So using a custom Loomis blank, light line, and Shimano Stradic aren't quality? You apparently haven't fished TN lakes where 5lb smallmouth routinely take a bait and you never feel anything. I can't remember the name of the video, but years ago one was published showing huge largemouth inhaling a bait and spitting it out and there was no line twitch, or jerk to be felt.
    Well I'm a St Croix guy, so no

I routinely fish Erie and have huge smallies take the bait and never feel it, but never see the line move either. I'm not debating that there are bites that you can't feel, but if your line is twitching/jerking, you should be able to tell that without having to see it..... Maybe I'm too spoiled with my braid and flouro???

2. Member
    THAT

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffth View Post
    I'd recommend switching to hi-vis line with a 3-4 foot clear mono leader. Works good for me.

3. BBC Fantasy Fishing Organizer BasserJim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cweb View Post
    Fg. Take the time to learn/practice.
    Ever have any issues tying it with light leaders? I know a lot of saltwater guys use it with big floro leaders but have heard of failures on light line

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BasserJim View Post
    Well I'm a St Croix guy, so no

I routinely fish Erie and have huge smallies take the bait and never feel it, but never see the line move either. I'm not debating that there are bites that you can't feel, but if your line is twitching/jerking, you should be able to tell that without having to see it..... Maybe I'm too spoiled with my braid and flouro???
    Got some of those too, but your original statement said "If you can see the line move, you should be able to feel it too if you're using quality equipment". Way too many 5lb+ smallmouth caught and never felt anything, just a twitch in the line.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

5. Member
    I use 12lb nanofil and light fluorocarbon. But I'll use a 10-12' leader just because Nanofil is so slick, I hate tying leaders. The white is very visible (more than the yellow power pro I used), and it's very sensitive. There's enough techniques that are worked on slack line that you have to watch the line. FWIW, I was using Nanofil up until 2 years ago, when I switched to the yellow power pro. I thought the color would help me see more bites. I noticed I've caught less finesse fish the last 2 years and the only thing I changed was the line.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BasserJim View Post
    Ever have any issues tying it with light leaders? I know a lot of saltwater guys use it with big floro leaders but have heard of failures on light line
    ive gone as light as 6 lb braid and 8 lb floro leader and haven't had any issues but it isn't an easy knot so it does take a little practice to get it down.
    Last edited by cweb; 10-09-2017 at 11:57 AM.

7. Member
    You need to watch where the line comes out of/goes into the water. When you loose site of the line just drop the rod tip a bit so the line lies on the water then lift it and you will able to see it as it enters the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    been fishing a small 4 inch finesse worms on 6# mono down the edge of weed beds and am having a hard time seeing the line to watch for the JUMP is there anything i can add to it to make it easier to see
    Try Berkley XL in blue.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

9. Member
    alberto knot
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

10. Member
    Most people I know use hiVis braid with a FC leader.....NOT me. I use 10# FC using a bait caster (Curado 50E) on a G Loomis 822C shaker head rod. I rely on feel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12