Learning to drive my new caracal - input needed

Hi guys, proud new owner of a 17’ caracal after running a ranger 520 with a 225 optimax for about 12 years. I don’t have much seat time in the caracal (5 hours on engine) but I’m doing something wrong as I’m only getting about 5400 RPM at 65-66MPH with a medium load. I’ve only got that twice on calm water and can’t seem to get it consistently or even higher which I think I should be able to.

All the specs are:

225 optimax
    25P fury - all plugs out after trying 2 then 1, definitely like all out best so far
    8 inch jackplate adjusted from the factory, was told not to experiment with this just yet
    Been running with both high and low fuel levels
    been running with both empty and full livewells

i can’t seem to find the sweet spot with the trim so any help from anyone would really be appreciated.

Thank you.

-Steve

2. Member
    This is a good read.
    It doesn't cover the Caracal specifically, but does cover boat set up and driving the chine.
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bass...l#.WSXYvGfruM8
    I believe you will get some input from other Caracal owners. Patience.

One of the biggest mistakes new BCB owners tend to do, is over trim.

There are other issues that can limit your RPM. One is the Hotfoot.
    Remove the engine cowl. Have someone push the Hotfoot all the way down till it hits the stop (Bolt on the hotfoot).
    Now check to make sure the Throttle is wide open on the engine. (It will have a full throttle stop.)
    I have the seen the Hotfoot stop adjusted incorrectly. The hotfoot contacts the stop/bolt before the engine throttle reached the wide open stop. This will limit the engines ability to reach its max RPM.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

It sounds like your not trimming. Bass Cat models gain top end based on trim, not throttle. Wherever the throttle is you increase speeds by trimming the engine. Hold the throttle around 45-50 MPH and start trimming and see what the trim gives you in a variance. You should see performance pop up near 60 and the ride settle down as the bow quits digging in the water.

Running a 225 pro xs also, atlas jack plate hydraulic, single power pole, and 36v trolling motor. I have the center fuel tank, and 10 gallon kicker. Most of the guy ive talked to have dropped down to a 24p prop with the same set up as me. Quite a few guys with rear fuel tank kept their 25p and ive seen them get speeds in the mid 70s loaded down for tournaments. I believe the belly tank boats need a little extra lift, I opted for a 24p fury 4 blade as recommeded by another caracal owner and it made it into a different boat. Id say the lift from one to the other was extreme, with the 3 blade I would have to be running mid 50's to get the lift I now get out of the 4 blade running only 42-44 mph. I still struggle with seat time at top end speeds. I ran the boat up to 72 @5400 once with the 3 blade in summer weather chine set in some and i let off. I can run the 4 blade up to 70 @ 5700 rpms pretty loaded with alot less chine.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

5. Member
    Thank you all, this is really helpful. Going to try again on Friday.

6. Member
    Try trimming it way up at when your at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle just to get a feel of what it will do.
    Last edited by Firecat; 10-15-2017 at 09:06 AM.

7. Member
    I had my Caracal to 71.2 the other day. It had full livewells, 30 gallons of gas, lots of tackle, and 380 pounds of humans. Air temp was 54, and water temp was 74. I was pleased as it had some left. I have the two 26 gallon rear tanks and no lunch poles. Ran it over 70 for about 5 miles which is good considering I started around the 8 mile marker on lake of the Ozarks.

8. Member
    Very impressive for loz! What’s your boat look like jigman? I’m there almost every weekend.

9. Member
    I have a little over three hours on my new caracal. I got to open it up last weekend and saw 71.9 @5850 rpm. I have a 24 fury 4. That number is with 40 gallons of fuel and full live wells. Also loaded to fish a tournament. I think that when the motor is loosened up I'll be able to squeeze a couple more mph out of her. Hole shot is awesome and the boat has wicked lift. It doesn't have poles yet. But will soon. I've been running a cat for the past 4 years so driving it is a blast.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyNegus94 View Post
    Very impressive for loz! What’s your boat look like jigman? I’m there almost every weekend.
    Here it is, if the link works.

11. Member
    One fine looking rig!

12. Member
    Man she’s a beaut Clark! I’ll keep an out for it and swing by if I see ya.

13. Member
    Quick update I wanted to share.

Moved from a 25P 3 blade Fury to 25P 4 blade fury and was absolutely amazed at the difference. Literally drives like a different boat. I’ve had prop swaps make significant changes in the past but definitely nothing like this. I went from barely being able to get over 60, to hitting 73+ with more left.

Thanks for the help all!

Quote Originally Posted by White520 View Post
    Quick update I wanted to share.

Moved from a 25P 3 blade Fury to 25P 4 blade fury and was absolutely amazed at the difference. Literally drives like a different boat. I’ve had prop swaps make significant changes in the past but definitely nothing like this. I went from barely being able to get over 60, to hitting 73+ with more left.

Thanks for the help all!
    fury 4 blade is the real deal for boats with a belly tank. Congrats on getting the most out of her