Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some recent struturemap screenshots

Some recent screenshots from a structuremap I made recently on a new part of a lake I fish. This technology easily shows the transitions from soft to hard bottom and easily picks out structure. Great tool to have!

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Pretty cool...
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    A couple of questions:

What system are you using?

Can you save this info for your own map so that it shows when ever you get to that body of water?
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

I’m using HDS Carbons with the structurescan 3D transducer. Yes you can take your saved sonar file and create a structuremap from it right on the unit. Use saved instead of live from menu drop down.
    Last edited by fireslayer; 10-09-2017 at 10:16 AM.

5. Member
    I am using gen 3 but i will look next time to see if that is an option because it would be great to have that view of the bottom available when ever i want. I am still learning what this thing can do.

6. Member
    I was looking at that feature on my gen3 today in the simulator. Next time out I plan on trying it out, I think it will be very helpful...

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What the OP is using is Structure Map.....its been on the HDS units since the regular Gen 2 units were out....very handy tool to use.....very simple to do, you need to make a sonar recording with structure scan and when your done, have it create a structure map which will be stored on your SD card.....it can be turned on or off and shared across the network as a "map" which can also be overlaid on your Navionics or internal mapping....

8. Member
    As FC said, the Structuremap is "old" tech so it isn`t mentioned that much anymore. But it really has it uses and especially in shallow water. I use it in both fresh- and saltwater whenever I look for fish that like structure. So do try it out.

I also use Structuremap a lot when training people on how to read sidescan. Whenever I go out with someone who are not used to sidescan, I turn on the Structuremap-overlay on the chartplotter so they see where the structure shown on sidescan is on the chart. Makes it easier to relate to where it was compared to where the boat is when reading the actual sidescan-image. Remember that you can cut out the watercoloumn in your Structuremap, so only "bottom" (or what the unit thinks is bottom) is shown.

9. Member
    When i save the sonar log should i save it as it's own file or can i just add it to my way point file for that body of water?

10. Member
    Sonarlogs and waypoints are saved in different formats. :) There is no way for you to save both at once or in one file. Keep in mind that we are talking about sonarlogs here, not tracklogs.

11. Member
    Will this work on all HDS units?

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    All but Gen 1 units.......

13. Member
    Alright, i made it out on the water and made a sonar map but i have a couple of questuions.

I have have 2 files now for the map i made one is a .sl3 i believe my original sonar recording and .smf the new map. I assume i don't need the original sonar log anymore since i have the map.

Now the next time i go out and want to expand my map is there any reason why i can't use the same sonar log file and just replace it with the new one?

When I convert the sonar file to the map will it just use the same map file and expand on it sense I will be using the same sonar log file name.

14. Member
    Correct, you do not need the SL3-file after the SMF-file has been saved. (But why not upload the SL3 to C-Map Genesis as well, and help on your contour-mapping in the process?)
    When you start a new sonarlog, with the older still saved to your memorycard, that new recording will be a new file. You will not overwrite the old file, nor add to it. You end up with two seperate sonarlogs. So no damage done whatever you do. :)
    Going by memory here now, large margin of error.... Your new sonarlog will be converted to a new SMF-file, so your first SMF will not be overwritten nor added to.

Btw, where are the screenshots of your new Structuremap? ;)

15. Member
    Unfortantly i am not a fan of Genesis from the dealings i have had with them.

So you could have quite a few SMF files then for one body of water, that could be a pain in the ass to have to open each one before going out on the water. I will have to look into that once I get a couple made.

Screen shots, I will have to try and take one and see if I can get it to work.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Colibri View Post
    Correct, you do not need the SL3-file after the SMF-file has been saved. (But why not upload the SL3 to C-Map Genesis as well, and help on your contour-mapping in the process?)
    When you start a new sonarlog, with the older still saved to your memorycard, that new recording will be a new file. You will not overwrite the old file, nor add to it. You end up with two seperate sonarlogs. So no damage done whatever you do. :)
    Going by memory here now, large margin of error.... Your new sonarlog will be converted to a new SMF-file, so your first SMF will not be overwritten nor added to.

Btw, where are the screenshots of your new Structuremap? ;)

Team Colibri

Any idea as to how much influence the side scan,downscan, and 3d sonar logs contribute to the creation of a Genesis map versus the 2D sonar data? Thanks

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fisheye216 View Post
    Team Colibri

Any idea as to how much influence the side scan,downscan, and 3d sonar logs contribute to the creation of a Genesis map versus the 2D sonar data? Thanks
    Genesis only uses 2D, as this would usually be the most reliable source of depth.

18. Member
    I was out logging a small local lake today. I had it set to live read and it was showing up on my map but when I got to the end of the lake and turned around to make a pass back I would loose a section of the previous live scan. I would get through the lost section and the next section would go away. This happen around the whole lake, any idea? I won't know until tomorrow if it comes out at all when the conversion is done.

19. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    The live does not stay, it will "erase" itself as you continue. If you want a structure map you must record sonar and then convert it when your done.

20. Member
    Well that is good to know that it is not something wrong with the system. It just would be handy to see were you have already been when doing a small body of water. I will see how many spots I missed tomorrow when the file show be done converting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast