Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Just bought an 1985 Champion

Hi guys -

New to the board and a proud new owner of a beat up but beautiful (aren't they all?) Champion brownish tan, Root Beer colored Hog machine.

I have some huge questions if any of you can help!

1. Seat poles don't stay in place, they rise right back up after adjusting, do i need a new pressure seat pole mount?

2. New seats, any suggestions for my root beer colored Champion? My seats are original and still have the Champion logo, maybe they need to stay for purity? They are cracked to hell. :)

3. Anyone have a wiring diagram for this boat? (Edit - I see a thread on the topic)

4. Pole Light sockets are well, without a light, will standard boat lights work for this from Amazon? I see all sorts of bow lights on a stick. Not sure if mine are standard.

5. Hand rails are totally separated due to stripped Phillips hole. Still have the screws but they're unable to screw in due to being stripped. How can that be repaired?

6. The boat has a MotorGuide Maxi 26 2 bank charger. The lights were flashing red green red green etc. Nothing was constant. The battery terminals didn't seem too dirty. I took the batteries out, put them straight on my charger, and the charger status light went amber, and started charging. This tells me I believe both batteries are good, so does this tell me that the MAXI 26 has an issue? Anyone know what the alternate red and green light flashing sequence means? I guess I could Google that. :)

Thank you all. I bought a cheap boat with character, but now having seen the boat's history here, and reading up on it, I feel like I got some kind of special mystical American made watercraft to purse the greatest animal on earth, the Largemouth Bass.

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome!!! First, your seats were made by Deans Tops in AR. Contact them with your HIN# and they can replace all in original colors.
    Our gang here can answer ALL your questions! Glad you joined us. You have found the right place for all Champion!!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SherwoodBassSlayer View Post
    Hi guys -

New to the board and a proud new owner of a beat up but beautiful (aren't they all?) Champion brownish tan, Root Beer colored Hog machine.

I have some huge questions if any of you can help!

1. Seat poles don't stay in place, they rise right back up after adjusting, do i need a new pressure seat pole mount?

Thank you all. I bought a cheap boat with character, but now having seen the boat's history here, and reading up on it, I feel like I got some kind of special mystical American made watercraft to purse the greatest animal on earth, the Largemouth Bass.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=65150
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

4. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    1st off...Congrats on your new boat & welcome to the Champion family! When I bought my Champ a year ago the guy's/gal(s) were, and still are a tremendous help. I quickly realized that they are a tight-knit group willing to do what it takes to keep each other on the water, and that makes you feel sort of proud to become a part of that.
    Whatever challenges you face as you work on bringing your boat back to life, do not get discouraged. Time is your friend.

#4 - Light posts should work from amazon, walmart, wherever.
    In the light post hole (receiver) you will notice there are 2 or 3 prongs.
    Most of the newer light poles have holes in the bottom of them to work for either the 2 or 3 prong light post holes in your boat.
    But check to be sure what you buy will work in your boat's light pole receiver.

The other thing is...if the new lights don't work, you may have connection / corrosion problems.

5. Pat Goff
    Old boat with old parts, nothing that isn't replaceable
    Replace your seat bases. easy enough.
    Deans top and canvas made your seats in Mt. Home. Give them your HID number and they can pull your worksheet and build exact replacements.
    Put n whatever hardware you want, it's all the same.
    Get some marine-tex, and new stainless screws. Mix the marine tex, fill the hole, then run the screw in, it'll never come out on it's own.
    Can't help with that charger, never used one.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    Thank you all for the comments! Good stuff. I’m a newb to real bass boats. Always had aluminum with basic trolling motor.
    Last edited by SherwoodBassSlayer; 10-09-2017 at 11:28 AM.

7. Member
    Greatest Champion Bass Boat moment of my life...

Yesterday I have three guys over to help with all of the supposed "issues" with this OLD root beer Champion boat I bought down in Lake Elsinore, CA.

1. Tournament bass fisherman friend who forced me to buy this boat.

2. Electrician I found out of craigslist to help with wiring, good guy so far, and hes back today building out battery platforms.

3. Electrician buddy friend who I fish with

We're all trying to troubleshoot and all of a sudden, we flick a switch on the boat panel and the new Amazon pole post white light came on.

Then, we turned the driver side Lowrance on and it fired up all color, and working. Then we tried the bow Lowrance and it fired up and is working!

Then, bass tourney guy says turn the radio on - and guess what started playing?

Sweet home Alabama!

Last edited by SherwoodBassSlayer; 10-14-2017 at 12:50 PM.

8. Banned
    ... Dan

9. Member
    Can anyone tell me where the ground wires go in the rear of the boat?

And what this toggle switch up front was for?

10. Member
    The wiring diagram is in the back portion of the owners manual. That toggle looks to be owner added. It doesn't match the stock switches, and I've not seen one in that location. Could be for anything, just following the wiring. It has been a long time since I have been in mine, but I don't remember that green/white wiring you have out on the deck either. By the size of it, I'm guessing TM wiring.

11. Member
    Does anyone have any hints for converting to 36 volts? I’ve got a 36 volt MK 101 in the shop and I’m all wired up for 36. So I’m wondering if I can just plug in to 36 volts now and all will be OK. It’s odd that I am a computer guy feeling like such a novice with boat electronics.

Thanks all for the tips.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pops slowdog View Post
    The wiring diagram is in the back portion of the owners manual. That toggle looks to be owner added. It doesn't match the stock switches, and I've not seen one in that location. Could be for anything, just following the wiring. It has been a long time since I have been in mine, but I don't remember that green/white wiring you have out on the deck either. By the size of it, I'm guessing TM wiring.
    Thanks Pops. I have a boat mechanic coming tomorrow to take a look. Today we made a ton of progress.

New cigarette Power installed for charging my phone. :D

Battery platform made out of wood by hand by craigslist guy.

All Lowrance electronics working. Lights working. New 3 Bank on board charger installed.

Bought the boat and trailer for $1200. I’ve put in another $800.

Spoke to Dan at Dean’s. Sounds like he can make me new seats.

13. Member
    If you go with a 36 volt trolling motor you will need 6 gauge wiring from battery to trolling motor. Don't forget to include the proper amp rated fuse also. Do you have room in the bilge for 4 batteries ?
    GETFISHED !!!

14. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    I had a toggle like that at the bow and console areas of my 1999 187. They were to stow and deploy the Power Gator arm on my TM. Very handy till you sat in driver's seat, put the hammer down...and wondered why you were suddenly soaking wet from the water displaced by the still-deployed TM!! LOL!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    If you go with a 36 volt trolling motor you will need 6 gauge wiring from battery to trolling motor. Don't forget to include the proper amp rated fuse also. Do you have room in the bilge for 4 batteries ?
    Thank you, I just checked the gauge and its running 6 now.

Can you elaborate on the fuse - location, details of proper amp?

Carpenter built me a custom battery box yesterday. any opinion on this? Not sure if this is advised, cost me a pretty penny to build it, not sure if it was needed?

Enough for 4 batteries indeed now though!

Last edited by SherwoodBassSlayer; 10-15-2017 at 01:43 PM.

16. Member
    Disregard my cable question about amp/fuse. Buddy set me straight. I’m just curious why these parts are not on the Minn Kota site? Is it so basic that I’m way overthinking this? ;-)

My boat boat came with 2 Lowrance x102. I have found manuals for x102c - are they both pretty much the same? I’m looking for a new transducer for the console one. It looks like a mouse tore through it.

17. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SherwoodBassSlayer View Post
    Thank you, I just checked the gauge and its running 6 now.

Can you elaborate on the fuse - location, details of proper amp?

Carpenter built me a custom battery box yesterday. any opinion on this? Not sure if this is advised, cost me a pretty penny to build it, not sure if it was needed?

Enough for 4 batteries indeed now though!

Where's your gas tank?

18. Member
    Boat is going on a private lake, no gas allowed - the fuel kind of course.

19. Member
    Thank you to all for the help. My project is complete.

Dean’s Top did an incredible job on the seats.

20. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Looking great!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast