"OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar

Question Renegade pushing bow down.

Hey guys, I just picked up a 25P Renegade for my Ranger/Johnson Fast Strike. The prop runs great at WOT. 64 GPS @ 5500 RPM's. I'm not sure if my analog tach is accurate. I bought a tiny tach and hooked it up, but it doesn't work!
    Anyway, the Renegade handles great, but at cruising speeds when I hit the throttle it pushes the bow down. The stern lift seems to work well with my 481V hull, but a little more bow lift at cruising speed would help a lot. I'm running it 3.75" below pad. I don't think I'm too deep, because I can still feel it slip and drop the bow occasionally when I'm up at higher speeds. Should I try to run it deeper or get a little cup added to the blades? Thanks.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

When I put a Tiny Tach on my Fast Strike, it didnt work at first either. I had to solder on about 8" of extra wire to the wire that wraps around the spark plug wire, so that it had more coils, then it worked great!
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    When I put a Tiny Tach on my Fast Strike, it didnt work at first either. I had to solder on about 8" of extra wire to the wire that wraps around the spark plug wire, so that it had more coils, then it worked great!
    Thanks for that info John! I'll see if I can get 6-7 wraps on it and try it again tomorrow.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

4. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Have Mark Croxton put some cup in it for you .I was running my shooter while the water was warmer and just yesterday swapped it back to my raker wow what a difference in bow lift, it was like a new boat she was running on top of everything instead of on it if you know what I mean ,even my tourney partner said it's like a new boat she really likes that prop 24 Raker worked by mark croxton 58mph no jackplate 5450rpms 150hp fastrike
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

5. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Al, I've got a 24P Raker that lifts the bow great. It just doesn't handle as well and it loses bite all the time when I get in real rough water. Top end speeds are about the same. I added some pickup wire to my Tiny Tach, so it should work now. Once I have accurate RPM information I'm going to send it in to Mark for work.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI