Thread: 150 EFI PROBLEM

150 EFI PROBLEM

So ive had this on going issue for almost a year off and on so i want to see what yall think. After fishing and running around for 4 or 5 hours ill go to start my motor and it will not fire. The fuel pump will not run, ill run the TM back to the ramp, load it, and run it to my local marina, have it in the shop then it will start up with no problem. The guys at the marina are baffled, went through everything as far as compression, voltage to the fuel pump, wiring harness's, kill switch, basically the works. Basically we havent got the motor to give us any problem at the shop. The only thing we can figure is the motor getting hot has something to do with the fuel pump or the ECU is going bad. Any other thoughts or ideas?

2. Member
    One other thing i didnt add, Ive never had this issue when its below 80 degrees out or first thing in the AM. Thanks

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What's your Engine Serial Number?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    The resistance of wire increases with temperature and a bad connector pin connection as well . Engine block grounds with poor connections get worse with increasing temp too . You could put a DC voltmeter on the fuel pump motor terminals when it fails to start you could verify the voltage to the pump .

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What's your Engine Serial Number?
    There are some other relatively common causes to consider, depending on the answer to the above question. Need to know which version/model we're working with.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    (SOLD) 88 WINNER Tournament 2000
    Mercury XR6 150 6"JP 25p Tempest 61mph loaded
    Minn Kota Maxxum 80 - Humminbird 899/858

I just wanna fish....

7. Member
    fuel pump driver is controlled by ecu,sometimes you can take your hand and bump on ecu and pump will start to run = [loose driver] in ecu
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    fuel pump driver is controlled by ecu,sometimes you can take your hand and bump on ecu and pump will start to run = [loose driver] in ecu
    Had this exact fix this fall that got me back the ramp. 12 miles to the nearest launch and motor wouldn't start. Pulled the cowling and couldn't here the pump. Changed the fuse and still nothing. Banged on the ecu cover and pump started. Fired up and made it like 8 miles and it shut off again. Did the same thing and fired up again. Took it to the dealer after that for winter storage and they will sort it out in the spring. I think they are going to try the direct wiring of the pump and see if that fixes it. Can't justify spending 2-3000 on an ecu when the motor is 18 years old. If that doesn't get me going it will be time to upgrade to a 150 4 stroke.

9. Member
    ecu could be repaired not near 2-3000/direct wiring will surely tell if its in ecu JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

10. Member
    ecu could be repaired not near 2-3000/direct wiring will surely tell if its in ecu JOE
    Ive called around a few places on the repair. With exchange rate, shipping, insurance and duties it would still be around $1600 Canadian for the cheapest spot I found. Doesn't seem to be any where here in Canada that does it. I've been watching the local buy and sell sites watching for a blown motor or a parts motor that might have one that would work. My dealer who is awesome to work with has been looking also but they aren't easy to find up here. Most of them are still running and in use so not many blown or used ones around.

11. Member
    what num on ecu, early external pumps could use brucatos,i have had good success wirring around pump drivers too in a pinch

12. Member
    what num on ecu, early external pumps could use brucatos,i have had good success wirring around pump drivers too in a pinch
    Its 824003a25. My serial number is OG946979.

13. Member
    Simon Performance Technology in southern California can repair your ECU for around $600 . I would trouble shoot as much as you can before sending it in . I have heard at least of couple of cases of EFI motors with these symptoms being caused from loose or corroded connector pins in the plug between the ECU and engine .

14. Member
    ^^^^^^ there ya go box it up send it in