Can someone educate me on the operation of the livewell in an early 21?

Played with the live well today... there is a drain plug.. the valve is there as well though not sure what it does..

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thx

Dan

2. Member
    Check your facebook messenger. I sent you the owners manual that came with my boat. All 4 pages. I cant post pics on this site.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

3. Member
    Thx John.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    In a nutshell:

Livewell Plug:

Pretty obvious but removed and the livewell drains in seconds, installed and it doesnt.

3 way valve:

Empty = drain livewell.

Recirc = no water enters or exits livewell, the recirc pump will constantly recirculate the water...i use this to keep the livewell dry until I need to add water or fish and I also use it when I go from clean water to muddy water.

Auto = allows water to come in at rest but does not let water out. I use this most anytime I have fish in the well and I run the aerator switch that has a timer, this will constantly pump fresh water in and allow it to flow out the overflow. When you take off it will close the valve and not allow water to run out and the pump will go from pumping fresh water in to recirculating the water in the well....when you stop it will resume pumping in fresh water.

Switches:

Recirc: powers the recirc only pump, this will pump water from the livewell and recirculate it back into the livewell. On my boat it uses the red flow rite pump out nozzle. When the nozzle is pushed in the water flows into the livewell, when it is pulled out it pumps out the starboard side discharge.

Aerator: This switch has a timed selection and a manual selection. I run mine on manual most of the time. This works with the auto valve selection. It will pump fresh water into the well while at rest and recirculate the water in the well while on pad.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Tim sums it up very well ^^^^^^^ Has worked good for me on both Allisons.
    I have taken the divider out. But don't fish any Pro/am tournaments anymore.

6. Member
    Tim.. Very good explanation.. my red tipped spout from the recirc is broken.. cannot pump out.. pumps work.. not sure on the valve though.. seems to take an awful long time to fill..

7. BBC SPONSOR
    I fill mine with the aerator switch and the valve in the Auto position.

The flow rite valve is pretty simple, have you unscrewed the plastic nut and pull the red valve out of the housing to check for obstruction or other issues?
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

8. Member
    No obstructions. The red valve just pulls out.. with about 6 " of pipe.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    The nozzle is pretty simple, pushed in the water comes in the barb closest to the livewell and comes out of the red nozzle. When pulled out the pipe has 2 rubber o-rings on it that seal off the nozzle and allows the water to come in barb closest to livewell and out through barb farthest from livewell.

https://goo.gl/images/ynpza7
    Fastbass Marine LLC

2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

10. Member
    Tim... you're awesome. I'm going to have to look closer later in the week.. maybe its not broken...

11. Member
    My livewell has never worked correctly as far as keeping water out. But I havent cared either until recently. I just put plugs in the 3 lowest water access holes and I was amazed at the improved holeshot. Even with 2 people in the boat it is amazing.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTGSXR View Post
    Tim... you're awesome. I'm going to have to look closer later in the week.. maybe its not broken...
    Don't tell him that. He already wears a size 8 hat! LOL

13. Member
    Lol