Clear coat EASY removal

I know I've read several guys on here have boats with clear coat peeling issues. I bought a 2000 520 Ranger at an auction and first tried to wet sand it with 800-1000-1200-1500 and finally 2000 paper then buff.....Didn't work well. I had my dealer rebuild my 225 outboard and asked him his ideas on removing a base coat clear completely then try to sand and buff. His solution....and it worked perfectly....was this:

1. you will need to remove all hardware , decals etc 1st off the boat. This will eat up and soften rubber if left on anytime.
    2. Mix 8 oz of acetone with 8 oz. of MEK and add 1.6 oz of Zylene (10% by vol.). Mix in a plastic spray bottle.
    3. Once all the hardware, decals are removed, spray a wet coat on the clear coat doing a small area around 12". you have to keep spraying a wet coat of this solution as it evaporates quickly. If you keep it wet you will start to see the clear coat begin to wrinkle up. Spray a little more and it will blister up where you can simply wipe it off with a soft cloth.
    4. You can use a green scuff pad to help remove the clear coat finish.
    5. Spray more solution on stubborn areas using the scuff pad to help remove the clear coat.
    6. Wet sand the entire boat after removing the clear coat with 1000 grit first, 1200-1500 2nd, and 2000 grit last.
    7. Buff on low speed 1200 RPM with a liquid rubbing compound. I used purple 3M compound.
    8. Use a finishing , swirl compound last.

The clear coat removal went really quick on my boat after I got the hang of it. You will spend some time wet sanding. I purchased a DA / wet sander for 125 bucks and did the entire top cap of my boat in 4 hours total with 5 grits of paper. After you buff the boat out the finish will be amazing. If your clear gel is gone you're not going to want to use this. I had to re gel a 2 foot long 7" wide area on my top cap after using a paint stripper on gel coat. DON'T even try it unless you want to ruin your gel! Found out the hard way. Don't use any strippers on gel coat, no matter what folks tell you. It softens up the gel and you'll have all kinds of issues. This has worked on a couple of my buddies boat also so I know I just didn't get lucky on my boat. Only thing I've seen to get clear coat paint off your hull.

2. Member
    I'm definitely NOT a safety Nazi. Just remember MEK/toluene is NASTY $**t! Use in well ventilated area (probably should use respirator) and keep it off your skin.
    1999 Triton TR-21
    Mercury 225 EFI SN: 0G885166

Hard to believe you perfectly sanded with a DA....In most cases a bass boat top cap is not flat enough and has to many edges for a DA....
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    I hand sanded the edges but did get a bit too far on some of the edges with my DA. The DA I used was for wet sanding only and is only 3.5" wide or a 4.5" pad can be attached. It's for sanding out a clear coat paint job done quickly on a auto/truck etc. You run a 1/4" line to a bucket of water and go at it. My son has a body shop and got me a used one. They normally cost 300-400 bucks. Made a huge difference in time and wear on those fingers. Other post was also correct. I used a fan to air out my shop while using the stripper. Stuff does have a strong odor if you don't ventilate your work area. Used heavy platex rubber gloves also. regular latex gloves will melt when you get the chemicals on them. Still the only way I've seen you can remove clear coat off a gel coat boat. At least the easiest way I've seen and I've bought a dozen like this boat over the years.

Glad it worked out for you. I do not suggest anyone using anything but hand sanding on there bass boats, even on the sides. I occasionally use a DA on flat sided boats....skiffs, center consoles, run abouts, etc. Even then the surface needs to be flat and you need to run a soft sticky pad between your paper...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com