Thread: SHO vs Verado

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    With the Verado you also have to find a place for the power steering pump. It's fairly large. Yellowfin put one in my 21 hooked up to my SHO. I absolutely love it and the way it steers but I have significantly more room for systems than a typical bass boat.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    With the Verado you also have to find a place for the power steering pump. It's fairly large. Yellowfin put one in my 21 hooked up to my SHO. I absolutely love it and the way it steers but I have significantly more room for systems than a typical bass boat.

Pump is in place of oil tank. No issues really.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xranger77 View Post
    Pump is in place of oil tank. No issues really.
    I just keep reading that a lot of guys have trouble locating Power Pole pumps. If you were hoping to use the oil tank space for those, oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    I just keep reading that a lot of guys have trouble locating Power Pole pumps. If you were hoping to use the oil tank space for those, oh well.
    Ive both mine in the center plate, plenty of room to spare. I could probably get another battery in there if I really tried to.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xranger77 View Post
    Ive both mine in the center plate, plenty of room to spare. I could probably get another battery in there if I really tried to.
    It's considerably bigger than a battery. And about twice as tall.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    The F series is a completely different motor with cast iron cylinder bores

This is completely false. The 4.2's are all the same motors. Only difference is mid, lower, paint and ECU for the LA. The XA is the same with a different ECU and paint.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davepjr71 View Post
    This is completely false. The 4.2's are all the same motors. Only difference is mid, lower, paint and ECU for the LA. The XA is the same with a different ECU and paint.
    IDidn't say anything about the 4.2 liters working in the industry for many years I know all the 4.2 based blocks are coated cylinders. Do you even know what the F series Yamaha four strokes are? The F series is the 3.3 liter four strokes that predated the SHO platform and they are very reliable one reason being they use cast iron cylinder.
    Last edited by nightbasser; 10-12-2017 at 05:48 PM.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

8. Member
    IDidn't say anything about the 4.2 liters working in the industry for many years I know all the 4.2 based blocks are coated cylinders. Do you even know what the F series Yamaha four strokes are? The F series is the 3.3 liter four strokes that predated the SHO platform and they are very reliable one reason being they use cast iron cylinder.
    The 4.2 engines are F series engines. Here it is, right on Yamaha's website. F300, F250, and F225. And those motors are extremely reliable, running consistently to multiple thousands of hours in commercial service.

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/ho...150-hp/v6-4-2l

Also, there hasn't ben a "cast iron" cylinder wall in any consumer product in quite some time. Steel? Yes. Cast Iron? No.

9. Member
    Yamaha is a great design and concept but I feel they made a huge mistake by not using iron cylinders instead of the coated aluminum bores to save weight. The gas blowing past the rings in the SHO motors is pretty common knowledge. You can find Verados , Hondas , and Suzukis with hours in the thousands but I have never seen a SHO thus far make it over 500.
    The serveral verados, suzukis, and hondas, you speak of in the thousands of hour ranges are on saltwater boats. Most all outboards run 1500-2000 hours on saltwater boats becasue the motors run all day while fishing and you cruise at 4000 rpm and max at 52-5300 in most center console apps. But, I happen to know of 2 SHOs in the 800-900 hour range on a bass boat and one with 1300 on a bass boat. Thats rare with any motor on origional powerhead. The only person I personally know that has more hours on a bass boat motor than that is a buddy of mine that has 1600 hours on a pro xs on a nitro z8. He bought the boat in 2010 and fishes pretty much 5 days a week and is on origional powerhead and only 2nd lower unit. Merc vs yamah = both are great and both could blow tomorrow. Thats just how high rpm outboard applications are these days. I will say this though. I fish offshore tournaments and know man people with verados. Some love them but most don't. They are pretty hated by alot of saltwater guys.

Also, SHOs usually only have blow by and make oil for first 40-50 hours in most cases. It is due to the rings not being seated yet. My 2nd sho didn't make any after break in. Best way to seat them is to make long runs at WOT during the 2nd half of break in. Not saying its not a pain in the ass to deal with, but it's not an unevitable issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12