First Blazer and Already Have Questions

Just bought my first Blazer. Its 190 Pro-V with a 200 2.5 carbed Black Max with. Motor was rebuilt about a year ago. Question time. I ran the boat for the first time today. Top speed i could get out of it was about 56mph before i hit 6000rpm (only at 3/4 throttle). From what ive looked at on the old interweb is the max rpm is around 5600. The prop is a 25p Tempest Plus. Ive never ran one but have always liked the Trophy props. I fish in the Virginia Beach/ Carolina shallow rivers (3ft is deep!). What would be the best prop setup for this boat/motor?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBlue View Post
    Just bought my first Blazer. Its 190 Pro-V with a 200 2.5 carbed Black Max with. Motor was rebuilt about a year ago. Question time. I ran the boat for the first time today. Top speed i could get out of it was about 56mph before i hit 6000rpm (only at 3/4 throttle). From what ive looked at on the old interweb is the max rpm is around 5600. The prop is a 25p Tempest Plus. Ive never ran one but have always liked the Trophy props. I fish in the Virginia Beach/ Carolina shallow rivers (3ft is deep!). What would be the best prop setup for this boat/motor?
    try the mercury website and go to prop selector enter your info and it will give you prop info some 3 blade and 4 blade

3. Member
    Well i dont think the 28p Trophy the website suggest is gonna work. Haha.

4. Member
    Well i dont think the 28p Trophy the website suggest is gonna work. Haha.
    ok here are my thoughts lets say you are at wot not 3/4 and your motor is turning 6200 rpm seems high and your goal is to be at 5600 wot merc specs for every one increase in pitch you should lose about 150-200 rpm at 28 pitch you drop 450-600 rpm right at your 5600 range wot and not outside merc specs

5. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Sounds like you have a lot of prop slip.....do you know what your prop shaft height is? Is the prop is good condition? How old is the prop?

You really need to know what your prop to pad measurement is before you go any further. If you have a water pressure gauge on the boat, it should never get below 10psi. I had a 2010 190 with a 175 Yamaha HPDI, 25" Trophy Plus. If memory serves me, I played with the jack plate height and ended up at approximately 2.25" below pad. Two people and light load would run from 67 to 70, depending on conditions and driver. A 200, if running right, should push that 190 over 70 easily, if set up correctly.

Rebel gives good advice...listen to him.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

BTW, with a performance hull, and that is a performance hull, you're going to have a learning curve once you get it set up right. Get it above 65mph and she'll start chine walking on you if you don't correct it AHEAD of time. Use throttle for thrust, but trim for speed. Trim up a LITTLE bit at a time, and whatever you do, if it starts chine walking on you, do NOT chop the throttle....slowly trim it back down until you are stable again, then start the process again.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

8. Member
    I dropped it down about half an inch yesterday. The center of the prop was about level with the bottom of the boat. I'm gonna run it tomorrow and start moving the jackplate around and see what happens. From what I've read seems like most people are starting at 3 inches below pad and coming up from there.

9. Member
    so after i dropped it down some it wouldnt get up on plane. raised it back up a 1/4 inch and it jumped right up. still cant give it the throttle all the way but ran better and hit 65mph instead of the 50's. water pressure was around 15psi trimmed up. Im good with the height. now gonna try a bigger prop or 4 blade to get the rpm's down some. Anyone ever bypassed the fuel switch for the tanks and just ran both at the same time? instead of the port first then starboard.

10. Banned
    so after i dropped it down some it wouldnt get up on plane. raised it back up a 1/4 inch and it jumped right up. still cant give it the throttle all the way but ran better and hit 65mph instead of the 50's. water pressure was around 15psi trimmed up. Im good with the height. now gonna try a bigger prop or 4 blade to get the rpm's down some. Anyone ever bypassed the fuel switch for the tanks and just ran both at the same time? instead of the port first then starboard.
    When I bought my Blazer, it was setup like that, to draw from both... I hated that. I want to be able to control which tank I get gas from. Can balance weight better. Don't have any chance of getting an unclean flow. AND if I ever fill up bad gas in one tank, I have another tank that is still fine. I usually never fill both tanks at the same place. I've gotten a bad batch of gas before. NO bueno. Moral of the story... don't come out of both tanks at once. So not worth it. Plus... If one tank runs out before the other, do you get air? Just way too much bad stuff could happen IMHO.