Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HELP - did I hit something? Or something "eating" through? Z185

I just found this at the very bottom/back of my new 2017 Z185, right under the plug. Had it out this morning and no leaks / no problems whatsoever.

It almost looks like something "eating" through? Or did I just hit something and the outside of the gel coat is simply chipped?

Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you ticked some rocks. Pretty easy fix for a glass guy or if you are handy. I would fix it though, hard to say for sure in the pics but if it is thru the gel to the actual glass water can get absorbed.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

3. Member
    Really appreciate it - first time glass boat owner, so I'll be taking her in I suppose

I just realized I said "no other problems" in the post above and should have clarified - no problem with water in the boat due to the chip/possible hole....but I did just post another "HELP" request due to an electrical issue!

Thanks guys for everyone's feedback

If you are not worried about matching color perfectly you could get some grey marine tex and do it yourself. Just mix, fill in the spot, then sand flat after is hardens. Later one year over winter (or whenever you werent going to use it for a few weeks) you could have it professionally done to match the gel there.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

5. Member
    Strange, can we see some pictures from the bottom looking up?

6. Member
    Here's a video showing a couple of more views

7. Banned
    From the video looks like you hit something.

That's an odd spot for damage without smacking the lower unit. You could have drifted into a rock so something while on the TM with your big motor trimmed up...

Sure looks likes you hit something...
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    If you are not worried about matching color perfectly you could get some grey marine tex and do it yourself. Just mix, fill in the spot, then sand flat after is hardens. Later one year over winter (or whenever you werent going to use it for a few weeks) you could have it professionally done to match the gel there.
    +1.....need to get that exposed glass sealed up. Thats a 2-3 hundred dollar repair around here.

Yep, looks like you backed into something. Its really minor in the big scheme of things. That's a really easy repair.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    right

Looks like a patch job and the repair fell off. Looks like you can
    See where it was featherd in on the edges, at least it dose to me from the pics.
    2022 Xpress H17 - Yamaha SHO 90

13. Member
    I would think if you hit something and caused that much damage you would know you hit something. Good luck getting her fixed up!

deffinetaly looks like you backed into something. jmho.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

15. Member
    While going forward you ran into and over something ... the initial impact began with the scrap mark which then, for the lack of better words, 'snapped' a sizable 'flake' of fiberglass off the back of the transom. Fortunately it's not in a very visible spot so I would have a shop suggest the most economical fix .... possibly just a grey compound & quick sand and buff.

Fix it yourself with pigmented resin. But don't use it until you get it fixed (if you can avoid using it). Water can wick into the exposed glass fabric and cause headaches down the road. Let it dry out really well (heat lamp for a few days), then repair and finish.

17. Member
    I had big chunks that came off the strakes on my 2002 518 Ranger. I was told there were air pockets between the gelcoat and the fiberglass that caused my problem. Apparently it happens when the glass is not properly laid on the angular areas of the hull.

18. Member
    UPDATE - well, that picture I posted was not the only bad spot...found multiple other large scrapes under the hull. Ranger dealer service mgr I'm working with (who sounds trustworthy) said they have only one gel coat/glass guy in the Dallas area that they trust to restore for a Ranger-quality finish.

I told him I didn't care about cosmetic scratches as long as the boat was still sound structurally. But he said some of the scratches were so deep that he recommended I fix those right.

Still have no idea what I hit or when.

But I guess I'm biting the bullet and spending >$1,000 to get the gelcoat repaired right...supposed to only be without the boat for 5 days. Huge bummer to drop that cash on a boat I've only had for 6 months. My teenage sons and I will need to be MUCH more careful in the future!!

Don't be too hard on yourself...It happpens, especially in Texas. Bottom of most bass boats around here arent pretty. Just like most skegs don't have much paint.

You can contact Ranger and get the matching gel, but you want the "putty". It's not that hard to do yourself just take time and a few materials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast