Thumbs down An update on my battle against interference on my 93sv

Hi guys,

I've followed everyone's suggestions so far and still not even a dent, it's just as bad as when I started and nothing I do seems to improve the level of interference. Here's a video so you can get a better look of my setup and what I've tried. You can see in this video I have run a completely separate transducer, power cable and battery and I still get it. I've tried all kinds of grounding combos and yes the fuse in the TM head for the ground wire is fine. Have a look, tell me if you think I missed anything:

Thanks!
    Dan
    Last edited by DanR; 10-07-2017 at 05:42 PM.

I feel your pain. I run mine on Auto low with a ground wire to the skeg. I get a spike when I kick on the TM and then it’s gone. Interference rejection on high.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    I feel your pain. I run mine on Auto low with a ground wire to the skeg. I get a spike when I kick on the TM and then it’s gone. Interference rejection on high.
    Could it simply be the vibrations of the motor housing and not an RF issue? Grounding the skeg did not make any difference in my case. I thought for sure the ferrite core would help but was crushed to see it did nothing :( WHat's interesting is that I did not have this issue on my old Power Drive MK V1, it only started when I moved to a new Terrova.

On your present setup(video) did you try running the skeg ground to the negative side of the battery that you are temporarily using for power?

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    On your present setup(video) did you try running the skeg ground to the negative side of the battery that you are temporarily using for power?
    Yessir, that was one of the combos I tried as well when I switched to the separate battery. I should have mentioned it in the video but completely forgot. No improvement when I did that either unfortunately.

Dan

6. Member
    I feel your pain. I went through all this kind of stuff with a Minn Kota Maxxum. Finally gave up and bought a Minn Kota Edge. Nothing fancy. No power saver technology. No infinite speed, just 1,2,3,4,5. No more interference of any kind on Humminbird, Vexilar, Lowrance or Garmin. Right now a spare is sitting in the garage waiting its turn. I'd love to have one of the high end trolling motors but until some one makes one and guarantees to have solved the interference problem I'll stick with what I have. I fish for fun that that kind of thing ruins the enjoyment for me. It's a real bummer to spend that kind of money than then be on your own to make it work satisfactorily. Why some get lucky and it work for them while for othes the same efforts fail I don't know. I'm sorry I cant be of any help.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

7. Member
    Dang Dan, looks like you tried everything. Interference for me also, especially with the new Ultrex. I might dump the Garmin and get a 'bird to utilize all the Ultrex features and the integrated transducer. I know what I'll be sacrificing losing the chirp, but if you can't see it anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by ncbass View Post
    Dang Dan, looks like you tried everything. Interference for me also, especially with the new Ultrex. I might dump the Garmin and get a 'bird to utilize all the Ultrex features and the integrated transducer. I know what I'll be sacrificing losing the chirp, but if you can't see it anyway....
    Yeah I'm really not sure what else I can do at this point. I wish I knew someone nearby with an HB unit, I'd love to plug it in and see if I get the same issue. I've tried with both the built-in and the GT40 and it's the same issue. I did consider switching to an HB up front but the whole point in my getting the 93sv unit up front instead of the small 550DV I had before was so that I had data sharing and I could share my waypoints from the console unit, which is a 95sv. I have a lot of very precise waypoints on the St Lawrence river so it was nice to be able to share that and get right on those spots from the bow.

What really bugs me is this is about $4k in equipment and I have to "deal" with significant noise and just hurts the overall user experience. For that kind of money, no one should have this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    I feel your pain. I went through all this kind of stuff with a Minn Kota Maxxum. Finally gave up and bought a Minn Kota Edge. Nothing fancy. No power saver technology. No infinite speed, just 1,2,3,4,5. No more interference of any kind on Humminbird, Vexilar, Lowrance or Garmin. Right now a spare is sitting in the garage waiting its turn. I'd love to have one of the high end trolling motors but until some one makes one and guarantees to have solved the interference problem I'll stick with what I have. I fish for fun that that kind of thing ruins the enjoyment for me. It's a real bummer to spend that kind of money than then be on your own to make it work satisfactorily. Why some get lucky and it work for them while for othes the same efforts fail I don't know. I'm sorry I cant be of any help.
    Did you try giving a call to MK and see what they say? Maybe that should be my next step.

I wonder as another test if I should remove the transducer from the motor housing and see if that makes a difference with it just dangling loose. I wish I could just remove the transducer completely and have it on a separate post to try that out but now I've epoxied the cable to the shaft

10. Member
    No. I've been through with this for several years now. Now that I have a reliable, day in day out interference free solution I'll take that over all the advanced capabilities of other trolling motors that may or may not have interference. There have been times that Spot-Lock would have been nice but I'll be on hold as long as I see people have problems like you have and it left to be your problem to figure out. This all started when Hbird came out with side imaging. Those frequencies apparently were more sensitive to interference. They came out with a kit that helped a lot of people but even that is a maybe/maybe not solution. Apparently it is a very difficult engineering problem to solve as it has been around so long and no one has offered a guaranteed dead ringer solution. It's always try this, then that , than something else, on and on.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

11. Member
    Have you had the trolling motor checked out for worn brushes, bad seals and water intrusion?

12. Member
    ntslam. I take it your post was for DanR. I don't have a problem any more. Ordinarily I wear out a trolling motor between 2 and 3 years of use. So I gone through about four of the Minn Kota Edge units. This one I'm using right now is coming up on 3 years. That's why I already have the next one in the garage. I'm no help with this so I'll be dropping out of the discussion. Sure hope some of you can help DanR.

Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    Have you had the trolling motor checked out for worn brushes, bad seals and water intrusion?
    Does that sort of thing cause bad interference? No I have no, the motor is 2 years old and barely used so I didn't even think to look in to something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Does that sort of thing cause bad interference? No I have no, the motor is 2 years old and barely used so I didn't even think to look in to something like that.
    Add to that list: bent prop shaft and out of balance prop.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

I didn't watch the movie so excuse me if this has been covered. Have you tried a ferrite ring?

I don't have a Garmin but I had terrible interference on my Helix 10 SI Gn2. I tried all the grounding and re-wireing and all that. I did a little research and some advice from the HB forum, I found this ferrite ring... https://www.amazon.com/Amidon-FT_240...G83Y27AF8G8N76 Much bigger and more substantial than the one that HB sends. Not sure what Garmin recommends but I would suggest trying this one. It cured my problem. My SI and DI is crystal clear...now.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post

yep, fishing line wrapped around prop can cause it as well as damage to the seals. There has even been some that have had to have the brushes grounded to get rid of the interference. Might check with a minn kota ASC to see what all the grounding options are inside the motor