Steering wheel clearance and viewing flush mount electronics on P2 and New Classic

I am looking at both these models for new purchase in a few months. I am going to look at a both models real soon in person, but it really appears in EVERY picture the steering wheel will block some of the flush screens. My concerns with the flush mount are not only the steering wheel, but no angle adjustment when using DI and SideScan (bright sun issues with no angle adjustment ability). I currently run a HDS9 side mounted on my ranger. I'm 5'9 btw.

Please chime in on your real world experience on these in dash mountings. And possibly what other options are available on these models.

thanks,

Lee
    Lee Harville - North Augusta, SC
    Boat Sold, looking for first cat -
    classic, P2, or Caracal

2. Airborne Lab Tech
    I have 2009 P2. A Lowrance came flush with it. Blocked part of the screen and felt like I had to look over the wheel. I'm 6ft. Took it out and put a Sherms Mount on with a Helix 10. Graph sits up above the steering wheel and you can adjust the angle slightly up and down with the factory knobs.
    Airborne!

The first few Pantera Classic models were tight on the steering wheel and control box clearance. This has been adjusted by moving the control box back slightly. The steering wheel tilt is an option if you prefer one.

4. Member
    I am short at 5'8". All the boats I have owned, the steering wheel has always blocked me from having full view of the console mounted units.
    For that reason I have always rammed mounted my units to side of the hull to have full view. its closer to me, and the sun has less impact in viewing the screen.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

5. Member
    This is not just a BCB issue, every boat I have been in with a flush mount graph the steering wheel blocks the view. I just recently purchased an Eyra an I got a Precision mount to raise the graph up ad so far I like it. But I am 6'3" and I can see over it.

6. Member
    I'm short at 5'7". I have a flush mounted 999 HB in the dash of my P2. With the tilt wheel down almost as far as it will go, it just blocks a little of the bottom of my graph. Doesn't really bother me. Nor am I cognizant of any glare problems. I wouldn't mount any helm unit any other way except flush mount. It leaves all of my gauges visible as well.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I initially had a flush mount graph on my P2. Went with the Sherm's mount and visibility/ adjustment range improved dramatically.

Good info, I went with Precision.........

9. Member
    I have a Caracal that came with a 999SI flush mounted in the dash. The steering wheel did block the bottom view of the screen. Did a duel set up on the console with a DEK-IT mount and built a aluminum plate to cover up the cut out from the original graph. I cant figure out how to post a pic up of it. If anyone wants to help me out I will send it to you. I think its the perfect set up and doesn't restrict any view while running or the gauges.

10. Member

It depends on the size of the unit in the dash. A 7 or 9 inch is not an issue for me. I have a Helix 7 in the dash on my '17 Sabre and with the steering wheel tilted down "level" (straight on) I have no problem seeing the entire screen. If I tilt it up a notch, it blocks a bit of the bottom part, but it's not a big deal. If a 12 inch were there, it obviously would block a bit more. Depending on how the screen is set up, there's not much to see at the bottom of the screen. I have never had an issue with glare. My bow unit is also a Helix 7, but is on a Ram mount. Also never an issue with glare. The modern color screens show up even in bright sunlight.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

12. Member
    Flush mounts look great and have a clean look. But after having both, I much prefer to be able to angle the unit for different lighting etc. Also the couple of inches closer are much better for the old eyes. And its easier to adjust settings on the go as the graph is right there behind the wheel so you don't have to reach around the wheel to adjust. You don't have to take your hands off the wheel to change screen views with the quick buttons. You can angle the unit in slightly which also makes it easier to see.

13. BBC SPONSOR
    You can check out BBT Mount systems also. www.bassboattech.com