Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Stay with a Dual Pro. I’ve had MK chargers for years and they are excellent chargers, but IMO, the DP professional 15A 4 bank I went to was the best decision. It’s the best charger I’ve ever owned!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

2. Member
    Actually those who said no are right ! I talked to ProMariner, with the same question. They said it will charge them, but it won't charge them right, and shorten the life of the battery.
    I also talked to the company that made the Sears PM1 He said you have to use something like the MinnKote 4 bank! I think it's the 440 series. You have to use 2 leads to get 30 amps min. into those bats other wise they die wicked early!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
    Actually those who said no are right ! I talked to ProMariner, with the same question. They said it will charge them, but it won't charge them right, and shorten the life of the battery.
    I also talked to the company that made the Sears PM1 He said you have to use something like the MinnKote 4 bank! I think it's the 440 series. You have to use 2 leads to get 30 amps min. into those bats other wise they die wicked early!
    Well, that is very interesting that there is so much confusion amongst the companies regarding this issue. Seems like there would be an absolute and single answer to this question. I guess I will stay with the wet cell flooded lead acid batteries until I can upgrade to the newest technology in chargers. I don't want to spend money on the AGM batteries and then have it work out differently than what the Dual Pro technical rep told me today. Which was, my old charger would work fine with AGMs.

I would ask why a minn kota PC charger has three selectable profiles?...gel, agm, and flooded lead acid. Also why the newer delta volt dual pros sense the battery type and tailor the charge?

5. Member
    The Dual Pro applies the same charging profile to both AGM and flooded batteries. It does not sense the battery type. The Delta Volt charging profile is safe for AGM batteries because it applies a high voltage of around 15 volts for only a brief period. Non Delta Volt will sustain high voltages around 15 volts cause venting, gassing, and permanent loss of electrolyte in an AGM battery. That is why the Delta Volt technology is compatible for an AGM.
    Last edited by catdude28; 10-09-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    The Dual Pro applies the same charging profile to both AGM and flooded batteries. It does not sense the battery type. The Delta Volt charging profile is safe for AGM batteries because it applies a high voltage of around 15 volts for only a brief period. Sustained high voltages around 15 volts cause venting, gassing, and permanent loss of electrolyte in an AGM battery, thus damaging it. That is why the Delta Volt technology is compatible for an AGM.
    So you are saying an older Dual Pro without the Delta volt technology would still charge an AGM battery with no deleterious effects?

From the Dual Pro Website

"As a result of Pro Charging Systems ongoing commitment to produce the most advanced battery chargers in theindustry, the company is proud to introduce its new DeltaVolt intuitive battery charging technology. This technological leap forward utilizes sophisticated firmware or software to enable the charger to automatically adaptto the charging needs of Group 24, 27 and 31 batteries. In fact, DeltaVolt technology can simultaneously charge mix of battery sizes safely .

In addition, this new intuitive technology will safely charge batteries to 100% with a specific gravity unmatched byothers in the industry. This enables the battery to perform longer between charges and substantially enhances the lifeof the battery. For instance, many battery chargers on the market today charge batteries to 80% with a lower specificgravity causing lower performance and greater degradation to the battery. These battery chargers substantially reducethe useful life of a battery. In fact, utilizing the wrong battery charger can cut the life of your batteries by 50%. "

Pro Charging Systems Eliminates the Parasitic Load Problem
    Parasitic loads are small electrical demands placed upon batteries to support and operate a variety of on-board electronics found on today’s golf carts. These electrical demands drain power from the battery packover time even when equipment is not in use. Our exclusive DeltaVolt technology eliminates the challengeassociated with parasitic loads through the use of advanced algorithms. Using DeltaVolt’s intuitivetechnology, available on all Eagle Performance Series products, the system detects the battery’s energystate and senses parasitic load patterns. The charging system adapts to the need of the battery and turnson to evaluate the battery energy state and charge the battery to optimum levels consistent with batterymanufacturer’s recommendations. Since the charger system does not stay on at all times, it also saves youenergy costs by only operating when needed. We intelligently solve the parasitic load challenge!

Last edited by dean c; 10-09-2017 at 09:15 PM.

8. Member
    Non Delta Volt will sustain high voltages around 15 volts cause venting, gassing, and permanent loss of electrolyte in an AGM battery .
    OSUDVM, I edited my post to make it clearer.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    OSUDVM, I edited my post to make it clearer.
    Thank you. Sounds like I just need to stay with the regular ole' lead acid flooded battery until I can get a new charger with the updated technology.

10. Member
    Guys, do what ya want but I am only reporting my experience with agms. I have a noco and they told me it would charge my 3 sears pm1 agms. In 2 years they were toast. So I started doing some reading and found out from contacting the manufacturer of the sears pm1 that a noco charger was not on their approved list of chargers. I was out a lot of money as I had to replace all 3 batteries. Went back to deka group 31s for now. Catdude knows what he's talking about. The big northstar, odyssey, and discontinued pm1 will not charge properly with a 10amp per bank charger and needs the special delta volt technology. My noco showed full charge on those pm1s, but when tested with a volt meter, they were not fully charged. Sears quit carrying the pm1 because they had to replace too many from people damaging
    them by not using the proper charger.

11. Member
    I know this is an older post but I’m going through the same thing now. The RealPRO RS3 specs says it will charge both wet cell and AMG batteries. I have 2 Group 27 running the trolling motor. I had a Group 24 for cranking but because of electronics I wanted to replace that with a Group 31. The only 31 I could find is an AGM. If I read the post right, the company says this charger will work with both wet cell and AGM. This RS3 will continue to charge the 31 AGM until it is fully charged and maintain its charge along with the wet cell batteries? Not sure how old the charger is but it came with my boat and it was new in 2016. This batteries/chargers deal is getting to be hi-tech.

12. Member
    Truthfully guys, to get most 31 series ago to full charge your charger should bulk charge at 14.8 to 15 volts. When your charging is done, unplug it, let the AGM sit for about an hour and check to see if you have approx. 12.8 to 12.84 volts. If it more like 12.4 to 12.6 your charger doesn't have the correct profile to top off your AGM and your AGM will not perform like it should. These batteries will have a short life if charged to that lower level constantly. If you really want an incredible charger to really give your big AGMs all the power they can deliver look at Odysseys portable chargers. Not only are the capable of charging your AGMs, they can in many instances restore weak AGMs back to full life and can also condition lead acid too. Unplug your onboard and just hook the leads up to your AGM and let it do its thing. If your AGM has been run down from inefficient charging the Odyssey charger may take a while to get that battery back up to snuff. I use the 10 amp on both Northstar and Odyssey 31 series and have eliminated alll my power issues.

13. Member
    So much good information on these boards yet so much misinformation.
    NO. Your dual pro from that era will not safely charge an agm battery.
    That charger hits 15.6 volts in its finishing stage. Guaranteed to damage an agm.
    A flooded battery loves that higher voltage at the end of the cycle but an AGM no so much.

14. Member
    I have a 2001 Dual Pro 3 bank charger and have never had a problem with it charging AGMs. I change my batteries every 5 years to protect against having a trip cut short due to battery failure. My current set of AGMs are going into their 4th season. I fished all day last Sunday and recharged as soon as I got home. I unplugged the charger yesterday morning. I just checked battery voltage and they were all 12.83 to 12.84.

15. Member
    I called Dual Pro last year ans asked a tech, he said every charger they had ever made is safe for AGMs

16. Member
    I had AGM batteries with my original 1998 duel pro charger on my Champ. No problems. I had a set last 7 years. I guess my batteries never realized they were being mistreated. They were 100 ah Universal Batteries that were used and over a year old when I got them.

I changed it out for 2 Noco two bank 10 amp chargers when the cover crumbled to pieces. Now I have 75 ah Vmax AGM going on year 3.
    Last edited by mr.coon; 03-24-2022 at 03:08 AM.
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    I called Dual Pro last year ans asked a tech, he said every charger they had ever made is safe for AGMs
    I have been involved in a few of these discussions before regarding the AGM compatibility of the older DP chargers. If you call DP and ask the question, you will get different answers depending on who picks up the phone. Delta Volt technology, which they introduced somewhere between 2006 and 2008 is much more AGM compatible and safer. So, IMO, I would not charge a high end AGM with a DP pre Delta Volt charger. As well, there have been issues even with the newer DP Delta Volt chargers inability to bring a Northstar/x2 to full charge. To the OP, even the newer Real Pro series which is their entry level, do not have Delta Volt as do the Sportsmen and Pro Series.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

18. Member
    The serial number on my RealPro RS3 says 2015. I called the tech reps 3 times and they said the charger would charge the Group 31 AGM. I haven’t had any luck though. Seems like it stops it’s “charging” stage way too early…like it may boost the charge up to 12.7 and goes into maintenance mode. When in that mode it reads 13.34 volts across the posts. I don’t think it’s the battery because it’s new. It was on a shelf when I bought it but the date is from 11/21. I had the RS3 plugged in for 30 hours then turned it off last night. This morning I checked and the AGM was only at 12.57.

19. Member
    Wanted to delete this comment but didn’t know how, sorry.
    Last edited by djgar58; 03-27-2022 at 12:54 PM.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Guys, do what ya want but I am only reporting my experience with agms. I have a noco and they told me it would charge my 3 sears pm1 agms. In 2 years they were toast. So I started doing some reading and found out from contacting the manufacturer of the sears pm1 that a noco charger was not on their approved list of chargers. I was out a lot of money as I had to replace all 3 batteries. Went back to deka group 31s for now. Catdude knows what he's talking about. The big northstar, odyssey, and discontinued pm1 will not charge properly with a 10amp per bank charger and needs the special delta volt technology. My noco showed full charge on those pm1s, but when tested with a volt meter, they were not fully charged. Sears quit carrying the pm1 because they had to replace too many from people damaging
    them by not using the proper charger.
    Are you using a NOCO charger now and if so which one? I have a RealPro(DP)RS3, serial number starts with 2015). I have two wet cell 27’s for my trolling motor and the charger does fine. I put a group 31 AGM for a cranking battery because of electronics, 3 9” graphs, LiveScope, and the normal accessories livewell, etc and the charger isn’t charging the AGM. The battery can be at 12.55 and I start the charge and the green light comes on in a minute if not less then goes into maintenance mode. I did buy the battery of the shelf but it’s only 11

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast