Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex Vibration

Is anyone else having a bad vibration when using their Minn Kota Ultrex on speeds higher than 4? Mine is vibrating enough that you can feel it on the deck. Never had this problem with my Fortrex.

2. Member
    Not for me, 80lb 45"
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    Check if the prop is loose. Run on deck of the boat and see if there is a wobble in the prop.

4. Member
    None for me at all. Check your prop

5. Banned
    A buddies is dead quite FWIW.

Mine vibrated, not that bad, but too much for a new motor I thought. I took the prop off my Fortrex and put it on the Ultrex and it fixed it! Still on there. You might want to call Minn Kota. Maybe they'll send you a new prop .... ? Never hurts to ask.

7. Member
    Mine on my ranger vibrated and the one on my buddies Phoenix does. When u turn it sharply, they are so bad you have to let off the button and start it again. Not sure what’s going on but definitely an issue. The one on the Phoenix has the g force prop nut also.

8. Member
    I also have a vibration on higher speeds. Guess I'll check the prop. Only had it out about 12-15 times and it has gotten worse the more I was out.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

9. Member
    I have a Terrova and it is silky smooth even on a double rabbit, which is a 10, or wide open. I will use that to pull out line occasionally (trolling) or to straighten out the boat/get back to a spot quickly.

10. Member
    Mine is bad as well. 80 lb 52 inch

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joefish View Post
    I also have a vibration on higher speeds. Guess I'll check the prop. Only had it out about 12-15 times and it has gotten worse the more I was out.
    That almost sounds like cavitation?

12. Member
    I just called. They said to pull the prop, turn on the trolling motor and watch the armature/prop pin for wobble/blur. If there is no wobble there, then you have a bad prop. If there is a wobble, it has to go to the shop.

13. Member
    I wonder if they balance the props? I have done my old trolling motor props in the past but did not on this one. I use a balancer for model airplane propellors. Might be worth checking.

Sounds like the prop, but could be the armature. We used to remove the prop and loosen the two screws on the end of motor. Then hit the power on med speed and turn the motor until the vibration goes away, or is minimum. Tighten the screws and replace the prop and see if the vibration is gone. Since this is apparently a new motor, I'd take it to a service center while it's under warranty.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

15. Member
    Older thread I know. Same exact problem on day 1 of ultrex 112 52 on Saturday. 4 and above starting about 30 degree turn through 80 degrees. Leveled off at 90 degrees. Did you guys come up with solutions? Again this was day 1 with ultrex. Thanks. Wes

I had the same problem, seemed like the prop so I changed it out with one off my MAXXUM. Still waiting on the great prop recall.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Sounds like the prop, but could be the armature. We used to remove the prop and loosen the two screws on the end of motor. Then hit the power on med speed and turn the motor until the vibration goes away, or is minimum. Tighten the screws and replace the prop and see if the vibration is gone. Since this is apparently a new motor, I'd take it to a service center while it's under warranty.
    He doesn't say what size motor he has but the newer motors are "knotched" and all the Ultrexes have a shield inside that the bolts run through. Moving the skeg will get it out of the knotch and cause it to leak. Will also misalign the through bolts and bend the shield, making the shield rub on the armature.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

18. Member
    I read on here where there were some props where shaft hole was bored slightly off center.
    That post should be below a page or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    He doesn't say what size motor he has but the newer motors are "knotched" and all the Ultrexes have a shield inside that the bolts run through. Moving the skeg will get it out of the knotch and cause it to leak. Will also misalign the through bolts and bend the shield, making the shield rub on the armature.
    John
    That's why I said "We used to" and advised him to take it to an ASC
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

20. Member
    I thought the fortrex and ultrex used different props. Is the 33 and 38 props the same on the inside?
    BILLY. 1995 202DCX ELITE TEAM FATBOY
    & 2000 tracker PT185
    2015 Fish count
    Days on the Water =5.
    Big fish 1-5.5
    Big fish 2-5.00000
    Big fish 3-4.0
    Big fish 4-3.0smallmouth
    Big fish 5-@2.50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast