Owners of older Skeeters - help me decide Talon or PP?

If I go with Talons I want to take advantage of some of the 2017 remaining stock deals and install them over the winter. I've been all over the place between the two. Most guys around me have Talons but they look so damn bulky and heavy. I have a 2005 Skeeter and my bilge is crammed with batteries, the charger and the oil reservoir. So, if I went with PP I'd have to sacrifice probably the starboard box behind the seat. Can anyone help me decide?

2. Member
    I have a 2004 zx225, with 4 batteries, a 4 bank Dual Pro charger, and oil reservoir and could fit two power pole pumps back there.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    I have a 2004 zx225, with 4 batteries, a 4 bank Dual Pro charger, and oil reservoir and could fit two power pole pumps back there.
    I have a TZX200 but that's my setup exactly! Where did you squeeze them in above the charger? And what did you mount them to?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisalecia View Post
    I have a TZX200 but that's my setup exactly! Where did you squeeze them in above the charger? And what did you mount them to?
    Ah, I'm guessing you have less space back there then. I had enough space to fit them (barely) between a battery and the charger on each side. I mounted them on a piece of 2x4 screwed into the bottom of the bilge (where battery trays are mounted.) This raised the pump up enough to where the hose fittings were above the height of the charger so that you could run to hoses over the charger and into the pump. I also brainstormed building a bracket that went over the charger and held the pump mounts there above the charger.

If you get creative I bet you could fit them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
    Ah, I'm guessing you have less space back there then. I had enough space to fit them (barely) between a battery and the charger on each side. I mounted them on a piece of 2x4 screwed into the bottom of the bilge (where battery trays are mounted.) This raised the pump up enough to where the hose fittings were above the height of the charger so that you could run to hoses over the charger and into the pump. I also brainstormed building a bracket that went over the charger and held the pump mounts there above the charger.

If you get creative I bet you could fit them.
    I know what you're saying about between the battery and the charger. There is a little square of space there on both sides. I thought about making an angle bracket and mounting that under the battery charger with the vertical side coming up in between the charger and the livewell tanks. Then mounting the pumps to that over the charger. Though I'd be a little concerned about green oil leaking onto the charger.

How satisfied are you with your PP?

In my 2008 ZX250 I ended up having to mount my pump in one of the rear storage boxes. Initially I didnt want to but I havent missed the little bit of space in there it takes up.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

7. Member
    I have an 04zx225 with 4 batteries, a charger, oil resivior and 2 pumps also. Mounted them side by side in between the charger and the trolling batteries on the port side.

8. Member
    I have a 04 zx225 with 2 25gal tanks. There is no room for the charger much less two pumps. My 4 bank charger is under the passenger seat. Mounting the pumps in the cabinet behind the driver seat is probably the best choice. Any other ideas?

9. Member
    I put 2-10 foot talons on my TZX 190. Love the 10 footers because they are barely above my engine height wise. The new 8 footers are below the engine. I wanted poles until I saw the space in my bilge. After 2 years of no issues I can say I'm happy I chose the Talons and won't another boat without them. Oh and the talon brackets are awesome. They have countless adjustments and are rock solid.

10. Member
    After staring in my bilge for awhile I do think there's room for 2 pumps in my TZX200. If I cheat my 4 bank charger down and over to the right, I think I can fit the 2 pumps on the other side. Or I can build a custom angle bracket and put the charger on its side up against the livewell side. Then put the pumps near the oil tank.

11. Member
    Also look carefully at mounting pumps on top of each other as well. I too have a TZX 200, and planned this out for when I get my second pole. I just have to build my own bracket to sandwich between the original and the pump that will raise it up and I can mount it on opposite sides so I can access both reservoirs.

12. Member
    I have a 01 zx225 with dual power poles but only 3 batteries. It was still a tight fit. I mounted my pumps as far back as I could. I actually still have room for a 4th battery if it ever comes to that. My charger is underneath the passenger side rear compartment.

Not sure how big of a space is back there compared to my 20i, but I have four batteries, 4 bank charger, and the PP pumps are mounted on the lid.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA