Mercury 125 ELPTO problems

I have a 2002 Mercury 125 ELPTO 2+2 S#0T508133 . My understanding ion how this 2+2 style carb motors work is only 2 carbs fire at idle and until you get it to 1800 rpm the other 2 kick in Correct?

So my problem is the last two times out at startup she starts fine. I have a normal idle time. (no shorter or longer then normal. just long enough to pick up a partner and make our way past the no wake zone) and these last two times the second 2 carbs have not wanted to kick in at blast off. I press the throttle and she revs up a little but nothing... I let off. idle a little more and try again. nothing... I shut her down. fired her back up. idle a little while and on the third time, both times the second two carbs kick in and we are off. this second time after getting up to speed I felt or heard a slight miss or something strange just after getting on plane and to full speed but it didn't last. I ran to our spot, we fished, and upon leaving that spot she fires up and runs fine the rest of the day. its not cold (once at 6:00pm after being in the upper 70's sun all day, and once at 9:00am after sun was up and she had been outside all night. I keep her garage kept except for when I plan to go then I get her out before and get her ready.

So any ideas what might be happening? the spark plugs are two years old. I add in the additives (Quickcare/Quickclean mix) I have not done a carb/carbon clean yet but I have the spray. just been waiting for this season to end just in case I screw something up. could it be carbon build up? spark plugs? fuel? any and all help would be nice. thanks!!!
    2001 Triton TR176DC, Mercury 125hp, Lowrance HDS9 gen3 & HDS7 gen2

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Correct- lower carbs provide only adequate fuel to lubricate (but NOT enough to support combustion).

Make sure you're up to date on maintenance (including filters and plugs), pump the primer bulb firm before EVERY start.

Your engine has an Accelerator Pump (AND a filter for that circuit). Both need to function properly, or those lower two carbs don't come to life as they should (lagging, bogging, even lean mis-fires).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

You need to determine if the problem is fuel related or spark related. The ignition circuit functions at all speeds (idle and above) so if the ignition is not firing at idle then you have found your problem. If the plugs are firing then it has to be fuel related.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Roba22; 10-09-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: trying to add pics.
    2001 Triton TR176DC, Mercury 125hp, Lowrance HDS9 gen3 & HDS7 gen2

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pictures depict the engine model of the topic, was there something specific you wanted to ask about them?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor