Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problems using Floro with Micro Guides?

Does anyone else have issues with using straight Fluorocarbon on a rod with Micro Guides?

I’ve used various kinds of Floro (Trilene 100%, Sunline Sniper, Sufix Castable, & Seaguar InvizX), regularly use line conditioner, and always spool it on correctly etc. I’m pretty anal when it comes to line management.

The reels I’m using I’m positive are setup correctly and I am always checking and re-checking on the fly to make sure I’m dialed in. The reels I use aren’t high end but still pretty decent quality (mostly Curado’s, Chronarchs & Tatulas).

I have no issues flipping/pitching with this setup whatsoever. But for some reason casting (even with heavier baits) causes me to overrun more than I’d like to. As best as I can figure it is almost always at the beginning of a cast and catches on the first guide. I am thinking the Floro gets a small loop or coil due to its memoryt. Switch the braid or P-line Floroclear and the problem is pretty much eliminated.

So I am wondering, is this just a reality of using Floro with micro rods? Or is there something else I haven’t mentioned I should watch for? TIA

All my rods are micro's. Hate flouro, However use it for some square bills and all Deep diving cranks. No problems with the issue you have described. Might have to do withe the distance between the reel exit and the first eye on your rod. Wish I could help somehow.
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

3. Member
    I'm sure you've already tried this, but have you checked your brakes on your reels?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBass94 View Post
    I'm sure you've already tried this, but have you checked your brakes on your reels?
    Yes, that's what I meant when I said "always checking and re-checking on the fly to make sure I’m dialed in."... Meaning that I make sure the tension spool knob is set perfectly and that I have the correct spool speed for the bait I'm throwing. Pretty easy to mistakenly nudge it just enough to throw off a cast. Sometimes I need to fine tune it on the fly just because the bearings/lube get "warmed up" and start to spin the spool faster so I’ll need more tension from the knob.

5. Member
    Don't like micro guides. Can't fish em when it's cold. Don't want a "seasonal" rod.

All I own are micros. I have found you need to be smooth on your casts. I fish 13s concept A reels and every cast has to mirror the last. If you try to give that little extra you will backlash.

I use micro guide rods with fluoro and don't have any issues. My setups are Duckett micro rods with Chronarchs and Curados spooled with Seaguar and Sunline. Set ups work great for me on anything from hard baits to weightless plastics.

8. Member
    I have done some backyard tests with regular guides and micro guides and fluorocarbon. I was getting about 15 ft extra casting distance with the micros vs the regular guides on comparable lures . Your problem is in your reel setup. Try the larger blocks in your Curados.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avalanche03 View Post
    I have done some backyard tests with regular guides and micro guides and fluorocarbon. I was getting about 15 ft extra casting distance with the micros vs the regular guides on comparable lures . Your problem is in your reel setup. Try the larger blocks in your Curados.
    Could be but I doubt it. I'd lean more towards the line I'm using or the motions I take while casting. A buddy of mine says I whip too hard while casting. But I've tried several different reels and rods on both micro and regular and I only have this issue with the Micros with Floro. And I am pretty religious about tuning my reels and having the proper settings/braking to match the bait I'm using. The only difference was micro guides vs regular (even with the same manufacturer ie - BPS Carbonlite) when using Floro and only while casting (F&P'ing not issues at all).

Are all your micro's Bps? If so, You may want to check and see how many guides your rods have vs a more expensive micro manufacturer.
    Just to eliminate that issue.
    "SEE YOU AT THE TOP"

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cashion1 View Post
    Are all your micro's Bps? If so, You may want to check and see how many guides your rods have vs a more expensive micro manufacturer.
    Just to eliminate that issue.
    Thanks but I've tried using a range of different rods across manufacturers. Quantum Smokes, Ducket Micro Magics & Falcon Bucoos. Doesn't seem to really make a difference.

Did some experimenting over the past couple days and I have it narrowed do to being the motion I use while casting. Floro doesn't behave the same as Braid (which is what I use most of the time while casting). So I have to adjust my casting style. Can't really explain it without showing you the difference in what I do, but it made a huge difference.

OP didn't say what test weight he is having trouble. Heavier lines, especially fluorocarbon, fight any guides and the wind and just tend to woof up worse. If I'm casting for distance, I try to use a rod with no higher than 12 or 15 pound test line. Pitching/flipping worms or jigs I'll use 17 or 20 pound...or 65 pound braid.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

13. Member
    12 & 15 is mostly what I use. I will sometimes go up to 20 or 25 but I find I have less problems with the heavier line. Can't cast as far, but less problematic.

Weight of baits is mostly right around 1/2 - 3/4 oz because I mostly throw DD Cranks and Spinnerbaits in that size.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    Thanks but I've tried using a range of different rods across manufacturers. Quantum Smokes, Ducket Micro Magics & Falcon Bucoos. Doesn't seem to really make a difference.

Did some experimenting over the past couple days and I have it narrowed do to being the motion I use while casting. Floro doesn't behave the same as Braid (which is what I use most of the time while casting). So I have to adjust my casting style. Can't really explain it without showing you the difference in what I do, but it made a huge difference.
    I have 2 Smoke rods 7' M/F use 16# sniper FC. I throw Ikas and paddle tails mostly and multiple reels with different brake system dont have any issues. No issues with my other micro guide rods.

15. Member
    I have more curado so and chronarchs than I care to count and a ton of micro rods and I never have any issues either. And what's this adjustment you speak of ? I fill mine waaaaaaaay full and use 2 brakes out. As I use line up I push one brake in and use it that way until time to respool. Spool tension is backed off until there is no side to side play. My Carolina rig Rod is almost 8' with micros. It's my furthest casting rig obviously. Never any issues with sniper or shooter.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barrys View Post
    I have more curado so and chronarchs than I care to count and a ton of micro rods and I never have any issues either. And what's this adjustment you speak of ? I fill mine waaaaaaaay full and use 2 brakes out. As I use line up I push one brake in and use it that way until time to respool. Spool tension is backed off until there is no side to side play. My Carolina rig Rod is almost 8' with micros. It's my furthest casting rig obviously. Never any issues with sniper or shooter.
    The adjustments are in my casting motions, can't really explain it to give you a good visual. I'd have to show you via video or in person. And I'm not that motivated lol.

17. Member
    When you guys say "micro rods" I'm curious as to what your definition of a micro rod is? Are you speaking of rods with micro guides along their entire length? Or of a rod with at least two reduction guides, and then micro guides the rest of the length of the rod?

I build my own rods and I have found that using micro guides the entire length of the blank results in a more difficult rod to cast than a rod that has at least two larger, yet progressively smaller reduction train guides before going to micro guides.

More so with spinning gear, but just as important with casting gear is the height of the butt guide. I have found that having a micro guide in the butt position (unless it is 24" or more way from the face of the reel) causes line to stack at the butt guide. When I build my rods I use a standard 3 guide reduction train, and then micro guides the rest of the way to the tip top. I start with a #10 and then go down to an #8 then a #6 and then to 4.5 running guides. I don't go smaller than 4.5 because my eyes aren't what they used to be, and because there are times of the year when clingy surface debris can get on your line and cause casting problems.

I do know of builders that will use a 2 guide reduction train, starting with a #8 and then go to a #6 before using micro guides the rest of the way to the tip. I personally don't do that because of the height of a #8 versus a #10. I try to keep the angle of the line entering the butt guide as shallow as I can, and for me I'd have to push a #8 out further from the face of the reel. I just don't like doing that, so I go with a #10. Usually about 21" from the reel face.

Personally I don't see the point in micro guides the entire length of a rod. The idea of micro guides is to reduce weight in the guide train, but weight in the guide train plays its biggest role near the tip of the rod, not near the butt. Oh well ... Just a thought

I use Tatsu fluorocarbon as the main line on 90% of my rods, and have zero casting problems that are caused by line type.
    Last edited by Bassbme; 10-26-2017 at 06:48 AM.

18. Member
    what brand of fluro - buy some high quality 12-14lb and see how it works. Such as shooter sunline or tatsu - if still happening definitely brakes but if working then it is the line IMO as I have not had any issues with fluro and micros
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    Could be but I doubt it. I'd lean more towards the line I'm using or the motions I take while casting. A buddy of mine says I whip too hard while casting. But I've tried several different reels and rods on both micro and regular and I only have this issue with the Micros with Floro. And I am pretty religious about tuning my reels and having the proper settings/braking to match the bait I'm using. The only difference was micro guides vs regular (even with the same manufacturer ie - BPS Carbonlite) when using Floro and only while casting (F&P'ing not issues at all).

my bps carbonlite non micro guide are terrible with floro when I try and get that little bit more distance with a good back snap or rod load up. Ive broke off right at the tip with spinner baits. I HAVE to loft the casts.

"whipping " is a word you used to describe your cast, and whipping for me and floro ends up with broken line. often 15-20 yards down the line. or a back lash. Id bet the broken line so far down is when it backs up on the first guide...

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjoldersma View Post
    my bps carbonlite non micro guide are terrible with floro when I try and get that little bit more distance with a good back snap or rod load up. Ive broke off right at the tip with spinner baits. I HAVE to loft the casts.

"whipping " is a word you used to describe your cast, and whipping for me and floro ends up with broken line. often 15-20 yards down the line. or a back lash. Id bet the broken line so far down is when it backs up on the first guide...
    The term whipping could be getting misused. The casting motion I take when he calls it "whipping" is when I use more of a snapping motion with my wrists and fore arms than a full body motion cast like KVD talks about in a recent video he made. I'll see if I can reference but when I started casting with the style he was referring to I got extra distance and almost 0 issues. At the end of the day it was all me and what I was doing and had little or nothing to do with the line or equipment I was using.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast