Crocker still a no go? (Trying to maximize time on the water Sunday)

Hey guys, some of our club members are fishing out of Elizabeth park Sunday in a multiple club tournament and I'm thinking of hitting St. Clair for a few hours and then driving down there to watch the weigh in. I have an 18ft skeeter and with the wind forecast saying winds SW around 8-10 it seems favorable for me.

I'm trying to maximize my time on the water and cannot find a for sure time that 9 mile will be opening so I'm wondering what the better option is, launch north and run down towards the 9 mile area, or even further south (trying to key in on 12-18ft areas), launch at st. jeans (I Know nothing about this ramp, heard stories :( ) or wait till whenever 9mile opens.

The drive from the launch down to elizabeth park is what I'm thinking of now, the weigh in starts at 4pm (ish), so I want to allow 2 hours to get off the water, load up and drive there while grabbing some food.

What would you guys suggest?

I used Crocker yesterday for the first time this year

The launch is functional

Although there is a smell of rotting vegetation or something worse

There is as before a lot of nasty stuff floating near the ramp that can clog your motors intake

There was one large floating pile of algae/slim/who knows what that was bubbling like an underwater gas pocket

I for one won't be back there anytime soon
    "The handicapped angler"

Have used it a few times last month. It’s functional. You’ll have a bunch of weeds and “stuff” on your bunks / trailer at the end of the day.

Why not launch at LEMP and fish the lower river? It’s been fishing well.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    Have used it a few times last month. It’s functional. You’ll have a bunch of weeds and “stuff” on your bunks / trailer at the end of the day.

I do not have a metro park pass for this year and I'm cheap lol, plus our guys will be fishing the lower river area and there's 48 boats going out, rather not take up their water and possibly piss someone off by seeming like I'm out there scouting for our team who is fishing.

5. Member
    Oh and I'm scared of the word Erie, and I know nothing about where to fish out there....more excuses from my lame ass :D

6. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post

Spent a lot of time laying under my trailer Tuesday at LEMP getting the floating weeds off my trailer. The bay was chocked solid with them when I came in. I think the south wind pushed them in. The place stunk also.

I've used crocker and LEMP a few times the last couple weeks and the launches are fine. Lots of weeds on the trailer but nothing more than the usual for those launches.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX / 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

8. Member
    You could consider the Blossom Heath launch. It's always open and just north of the 9mi launch.

Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    Spent a lot of time laying under my trailer Tuesday at LEMP getting the floating weeds off my trailer. The bay was chocked solid with them when I came in. I think the south wind pushed them in. The place stunk also.
    How was the fishing out there Tuesday? I fished it last weekend with Mojo and we had pretty good day.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX / 250 Mercury Pro XS 4 Stroke

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmikeMN View Post
    You could consider the Blossom Heath launch. It's always open and just north of the 9mi launch.
    Blossom Heath is St. Clair Shores residents only.

11. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by dcl20x3 View Post
    How was the fishing out there Tuesday? I fished it last weekend with Mojo and we had pretty good day.
    Didn't do very good. South wind was blowing pretty good making big waves at the mouth. Went upriver and caught some. Hit something on the way home and got a flat on the truck. Should have stayed on my lake.

12. Member
    Agree, however if you show up before the attendant gets there you just pay on the way out. Plus in the late season I've rolled in later and there has never been an issue with them letting me launch. They have only ever turned away people during the peak of the season. At least that has been my experience.