St. Croix Lengend vs. Mojo Bass

I am looking to upgrade my flippin stick. I have a lot of the Mojo rods now in various techniques and was curious as to how much more sensitive the Legend series would be over the Mojo. I flip a lot in the summer months using 1/2 - 1oz weights so was thinking the "lite flippin" option. I ran a Dobyns Fury this year and was not impressed with the sensitivity at all so I am looking to upgrade as its my bread and butter when the slop is "on"
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

2. Member
    If you're flipping a lot of 1/2-1 ounce weights I'd go with a heavy action rod personally. Which Legend rod are you looking at? Tournament, Elite, Extreme??

3. Member
    Legend Tournament Bass series. A little more than double the price of the mojo.

4. Member
    The reason I say go with a heavy action is if you're using a 1 ounce weight, by the time you add a creature bait you're probably closer to 1 1/2 ounces. That light flippin Mojo rod is rated up to 1 1/4. But the new Mojo Bass rods are made with SCIII blanks. Should be lighter and more sensitive than the previous rods.

5. Member
    Ive got a couple rod lockers full of st croixs and you can't go wrong with the legend tournaments or the elites. IMO .5 oz and 1oz rods are 2 different rods. Are you fishing the 1 oz weight bc its real deep or bc you are trying to get through vegetation in shallow water?
    The Legend tournaments are a huge step up from the original mojos. the new mojos have IPC tooling and Sc3 graphite and should be a bit closer in caliber to the tournaments. I believe in Nov there will be a revamp on the tournament line so expect to see the previous models on clearance fyi. If you have the funds, the legend elites are worth it.

6. Member
    My weight depends on how thick the vegetation is. I fish Champlain and it really depends on how thick the millfoil grows. Also fish some lakes with a mix of pads/milfoil but almost always less than 8' deep, sometimes less than a 1'

7. Member
    I was at the factory store today. Picked up a Mojo sc3 7’1”mh f for $30 and a Legend Elite 7’1” mh xf for $150. That’s the most I’ve ever spent on a rod, and it feels nice in hand, but not much nicer than the Mojo, I actually like the reel seat on the Mojo better. I have the 7’1” Mojo already, love it, so I already knew what I was getting. I can’t speak on behalf of a flipping stick however, that might be different. I have used my uncles legend extreme 7’ 11” h and it felt balanced and light for what it is, if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by cwalsh View Post
    Legend Tournament Bass series. A little more than double the price of the mojo.
    And worth every dime IMHO. I own 12 at last count. I just haven’t found a rod I like as well in that price range. I Use my Punchin rod for Flipping too.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    I like the legend tournaments, but I didn’t care for the reel seats much on the last gen. I’m very curious about the newest version!

I'm a big fan of the Legend Tournament rods also. There is not a day I don't have 2 of the lite pitching/ flippin model on the deck. One for jigs, 1/2-3/4 oz. One for Texas rig brush hawg or a beaver style bait. Occasionally I will go to a larger jig, a 1 oz size but I do feel it is starting to overpower the rod.
    Ranger Z-20, Yamaha F225.

I have had great success with the mojo line including the big flipping one , plenty sensitive for me, I can admit I haven't seen the need to step up form mojo for that money.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

12. Member
    As someone who over the years has owned quite a few of both Mojo and Legend series rods the only negative I could say is that I found the legend tournament series to be a bit tip heavy on some models , Quality , sensitivity and strength are what you'd expect from St Croix , The Legend tourney rods are definitely a huge upgrade over the original mojo series ,
    I did see that Tackle Warehouse has the new Legend Tourney rods listed and they look real nice ! availability looks like NOV-DEC

13. Member
    Thank you for all the feedback and replies!

I would recommend the 7' 4" BIG JIG rod for what your looking to do..I own three of the light flippin/pitchin rods and while its my favorite rod I don't throw anything over 3/4 OZ on it...this rod to me is the perfect rod for flippin docks, laydowns, deep weed edges, big worming rod, etc.

Legend tournament is worth the money compared to the Mojo IMO especially with "bottom" baits where feel is very important.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"