Thread: V20 opinions

V20 opinions

Hi guys,

just looking for some input on the V20, likes dislikes. I was looking pretty seriously for one till the buyout happened, then I kinda backed off. I've been looking at the V20, Phoenix 920 or 21, and the Ranger 520 & 21. I used a friends 521 the other day and I noticed how the boat barely moved when my buddy went from one side to the other, my 201 Stratos moved a lot compared to the 521. I guess one thing I'm wondering is does the V20 move much when the guy in the back moves from side to side. I have never been in one to know. How are they in rough water like St. Clair & Erie, what kind of top speed can you expect out of a V20 with a Yamaha on it. How's the fishability. I thought I saw on here somewhere about hull problems on the 2015s, is this true? How about the 16s & 17s.

I like the Ranger but I like a lot of the things Legend has done as well as their fit & finish. Just a lot of money to spend and hope I don't regret my decision whatever that may be. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Stretch

2. Member
    I came out of a Ranger Z520... I now have a 2016 V20. Both are very nice boats. The V20 by far has a better ride. It appears to carry the V hull further back than Z520 Ranger. The V20 will rock a little more with a hefty co angler. That's the trade off. The flatter the back end, the more stable it is with the trolling motor down. The down side is with the 520 series is you get some side to side slapping in the rough stuff. Particularly with a quartering sea. The 521 Ranger is a better ride than the 520 for the most part. The V20 takes full advantage of it's length for deck space. It feels much more like a 21 ft boat. I have a V20 with Lithiums and a SHO. My holeshot is literally instantaneous. Top speed is low 70's. With some tinkering you can see 75-78.

3. Member
    Thanks for the info Rick, I really appreciate it.

4. Member
    Love the 2017 V20. My 16th boat and one of the finest. Great ride and at 70mph your are not crazy out of control. A little slower than some but I am past the speed thing and more into comfort. Boat fishes great, flat, and moves easily with TM. A lot of little features added that you don't get elsewhere. Trailer is awesome too.

5. Member
    By far the best all around boat I have ever owned. Great rough water ride, tons of deck space, storage is over the top good, great fit and finish, very high quality materials like carpet, seats etc. I see 69-71 loaded every time out with my 250 SHO.

6. Member
    I agree ChrisB best boat I have ever owned.

7. Member
    I had opportunity to climb thru a v20 the other day. Rig was sweet
    can you get real shallow with them/

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlumpGumpy View Post
    I had opportunity to climb thru a v20 the other day. Rig was sweet
    can you get real shallow with them/
    I've had mine in 1/4" of water. As soon as the tide came up I was able to get off the sandbar.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I came out of a Ranger Z520... I now have a 2016 V20. Both are very nice boats. The V20 by far has a better ride. It appears to carry the V hull further back than Z520 Ranger. The V20 will rock a little more with a hefty co angler. That's the trade off. The flatter the back end, the more stable it is with the trolling motor down. The down side is with the 520 series is you get some side to side slapping in the rough stuff. Particularly with a quartering sea. The 521 Ranger is a better ride than the 520 for the most part. The V20 takes full advantage of it's length for deck space. It feels much more like a 21 ft boat. I have a V20 with Lithiums and a SHO. My holeshot is literally instantaneous. Top speed is low 70's. With some tinkering you can see 75-78.

Sorry, but the only way a V20 with a 250 will see 78 is on the trailer going down the highway. A bunch of us were born at night, but not last night.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveS View Post

Sorry, but the only way a V20 with a 250 will see 78 is on the trailer going down the highway. A bunch of us were born at night, but not last night.
    Love reading INTERNET speeds.

11. Member
    SteveS and TritonJT.... you're wrong. 100% wrong. By engine tinkering I was referring to those with an ECU flash on the SHO. Standard SHO speeds are low 70's as I stated.
    Last edited by Rick McFaul; 10-17-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Totally wrong about the speed. My V20, has a 250 SHO with the ECU flashed. I can do 77 MPH with no problem.
    "There are 3 types of people, those who can count, and those who can't"