3 WES ENDICOTT 17 - 6 (5)
    4 NEIL MCCORD 16 - 11 (5)
    5 JOE HAUNERT 16 - 9 (5)
    6 EDWARD GETTYS 16 - 6 (5)
    7 JUSTIN BERGER 16 - 3 (5)
    8 SHAWN KOWAL 16 - 3 (5)
    9 DOUG RUSTER 15 - 14 (5)
    10 CASEY O'DONNELL

Marty's a bad dude. Been donating my money to him since he was just a kid fishing in Indiana.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

3. Banned
    Rough week out here,been catching good ones but one here one there.Also lost my PB smallie,had to go 6-7.

I thought the KY Lake Regional was October 18-20, did they move it up?
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

5. Member
    2018 is Oct 18-20th

6. Banned
    Marty's a good stick and a heck of a guy. Wishing him the best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by zbasser View Post
    2018 is Oct 18-20th
    Got it, thanks.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

8. Banned
    Pretty cool seeing Brent Anderson make a big move! I drew him out one time, super cool guy to fish with, not at all surprised he's doing well as I learned several things from him that day I fished with him.

NOTE TO SELF: Break out the old Zara Spook

https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2017...y-lake-victory

Marty Sisk has been fishing Kentucky Lake for the past 20 years. He knows the fishery. He knows its rhythms. He knows its seasons. So when he arrived there last week for the T-H Marine FLW Bass Fishing League (BFL) Regional tournament presented by Evinrude with a berth in the 2018 BFL All-American on the line, he had a plan, and he executed for the win.

Still, it didn’t get off to a great start.

“My practice really wasn’t all that good,” says Sisk, who won in wire-to-wire fashion with a three-day sack of 15 bass that weighed 51 pounds, 10 ounces. For his win, Sisk earned a $65,200 prize package that included a $20,000 check to go along with a new Ranger Z518C with a 200-hp Evinrude and a spot in the 2018 BLF All-American.

“The first few days of practice I really didn’t do very good,” Sisk notes. “Just two or three keepers a day.”

Then Sisk, who is from Evansville, Ind., happened upon the magic spot.

“It was the right place at the right time,” he says of the shallow-water honey hole that surrendered the lion’s share of his winning weight, “and was pretty much the winning spot.”

Sisk focused on the south end of the sprawling Tennessee River reservoir near the New Johnsonville, Tenn., area.

“I really fished from Danville to New Johnsonville. That’s the area of the lake I concentrated on.”

With water temperatures hovering around 75 degrees throughout the three-day event Sisk expected fish to be shallow, and he was right.

“The reason I went to the southern end of the lake is because there’s a lot more shallow water than on the northern part of the lake,” he says. “And I felt it would be a lot easier for me to find fish in shallow water.”

His approach was simple, and he stuck with what worked.

“I caught ’em all on top using a [Heddon] Zara Spook,” he says. “A bone-colored Spook. One of the big ones. About 5 or 6 inches. I fished in 2 feet of water or less. They were schooling fish.”

All of Sisk’s fish were largemouth bass. Day one was quality over quantity. He grabbed the early lead with a 22-5 first-day limit.

“The first day I only caught six fish, but they were all over 4 pounds. The second day the fish did a lot better,” adds Sisk, who weighed in 15-10 on day two. “My partner and I each caught 10 to 12 keepers the second day. But I really didn’t get the size I got the first day.”

Sisk rotated through about a dozen spots; a comfortable routine he referred to as a “milk run.”

“The best spot was just a little shallow-water point right off the main river,” he says. “I had about 10 or 12 spots and would just make a little milk run. But the one spot was better than the others, and that’s where I caught most of my big fish. But they were all just points off the main-lake channel.”

Anderson also works the topwater game

Fishing guide Brent Anderson from Kingston Springs, Tenn., is probably best known for his tournament record in the fall on Kentucky Lake. So it’s not surprising that Anderson was in the hunt for a Regional title on the big reservoir once again.

The pro believes he was on the fish to win. In fact, he found the same school that winner Sisk fished, and the same school that fourth-place finisher Edward Gettys fished. Unfortunately, he wasn’t able to get on those spots before the competition and had to scramble around every day of the tournament, eventually putting together a program that produced the third day’s biggest stringer – 18-13. It just wasn’t enough to catch Sisk, who outpaced Anderson by more than 5 pounds.

“I was running to the Paris area throwing topwaters, throwing [Heddon] Super Spooks,” says Anderson, who used a Redemption Rods Brent Anderson Custom Series Big Topwater Rod all week.

Anderson fished areas ranging from 40 to 50 miles away from the takeoff location. Two- to 3-foot-deep main-lake bars produced all of his catch. The school on his best spot from practice vanished on tournament day, which set him back from the start.

“I spent way too much time trying to find them,” he says. “They were easy to catch once you hit them, but they were just hard to hit. I ended up having to run around and fish a lot of places. I didn’t have a bite until noon the first two days.

“I ended up catching all my fish off places I didn’t even think I would fish during the tournament.”

Fitzpatrick plies Paris waters for third

Roger Fitzpatrick, who finished third on the pro side, also targeted shallow water.

“Probably like most of the top finishers I ran to the Paris [Landing State Park] area and farther south and searched the shoal areas,” says Fitzpatrick, who finished with a three-day total of 40 pounds, 1 ounce and qualified for his sixth BFL All-American. “I caught most of my fish on a Strike King Sexy Dawg in bone. But it was a little windy the third day, and I used a [River2Sea] Whopper Plopper.”

The top water bite was strong in some areas of the lake. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday during practice I did really well on top with a spook, plopper and buzz bait. On Tuesday i had my first ever double on a spook, they were eating it pretty well. Thursday and Friday was tough, totally different bite, they'd just come up and roll on our lures. There would be a huge explosion and a big boil but nothing there and we couldn't get em to hit a follow up lure. Pretty frustrating being around quality fish and getting bit with nothing to show for it. My buddy James got second on the co angler side, all on top as well.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    The top water bite was strong in some areas of the lake. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday during practice I did really well on top with a spook, plopper and buzz bait. On Tuesday i had my first ever double on a spook, they were eating it pretty well. Thursday and Friday was tough, totally different bite, they'd just come up and roll on our lures. There would be a huge explosion and a big boil but nothing there and we couldn't get em to hit a follow up lure. Pretty frustrating being around quality fish and getting bit with nothing to show for it. My buddy James got second on the co angler side, all on top as well.
    James is a cool guy,it was my pleasure to have him in my boat on the second day.And i was glad he held on to the 2nd place at the end of the day ��

Thanks for sending along the results and the story. I was wondering how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by 597fitter View Post
    James is a cool guy,it was my pleasure to have him in my boat on the second day.And i was glad he held on to the 2nd place at the end of the day ��
    Cool that another bbc member was his boater. James is hilarious man, a real character that will keep you on your toes. Hell he cracks me up just seeing him fish in those boots while smoking a cigar lol. I'm really happy for him, hope he kicks ass at the All American next year.

BTW, he spoke highly of your boat, said it was fast and had a great ride.
    Last edited by skeeterator; 10-12-2017 at 01:26 PM.