Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally got to get in a Caracal

I stopped by a dealer today and got to climb around in a Caracal. Really liked the boat but I do see where in another post someone was saying the co angler didn't have much room for his gear in the floor. With a tackle bag in the floor there isn't much room for your feet... BUT... there is a very larger co angler rod box with a lot of storage in that. I wont pay 60 grand to make a co angler happy but it would be a bonus.

The hull is crazy DEEP... I don't think I have ever been in a boat that deep. The seats are not real low it is almost like you are sitting in a chair at a normal chair height. I kind of liked that part... a little strange to have the hot foot up on a pedestal above the floor but I could get used to it.

Storage was plenty although the outside lockers on the deck are shallow as are the rear lockers compared to my Ranger. The triangle live wells looked nice... I didn't see the issue I read about... I think they are a plus.

you must use the step to get up on the front deck... I am 6'2" and that is a big step for me without them.... Did I mention that hull is deep? :)

The boat looks HUGE for a 19- 8" boat... I had to go get my tape measure I thought there was no way that boat was 21'- 10" with the motor down but is actually measured slightly under than. That is the exact same measurement as my Ranger 188 VX but a foot longer boat...

It would also take some getting used to having all those different lockers... A guy could spend his day opening and closing lids if he wasn't organized well.

Wonder if Bass cat will go to those slam latches Phoenix is using on their premium boats in 2018? That is about the only thing I see that I like better.

Sitting on the trailer the boat was a foot higher at the gunnels than my Ranger... maybe that is why it looked so big...

Fit and finish was amazing... trailer looked rock solid.

Probably my next boat.

Greg

2. Member
    Did you look at the one at Bait Shack Marine?
    2000 Triton Tr21
    2002 Mercury 250 Pro XB

3. Member
    Yes I did... Brandon is a nice guy... The boat looks better in person that in the photos.

Greg

4. Member
    I went from a 188 vx to a Caracal, I leave one back compartment and the back rod locker for co angler and still carry twice as much gear as I did.

5. Member
    I forgot to measure the width on the trailer. Anyone know how that number?

Greg

6. Member
    102"

I’ll tell you the passenger rod locker isn’t of much use to a co when they load the rod slots on top of it. Have to move all the topside rods to get toanything in the locker.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

That's Momma's rod locker.

9. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    That's Momma's rod locker.
    Yep! That's what it is on my Caracal!
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

10. Member
    How is the shallow water draft on this boat? It seems to be very deep with a sharp V keel... does it sit lower in the water?

11. Member
    Believe it or not but it will float in about 18" of water will go way shallower than I thought it would.

12. Member
    I was shocked how shallow I could get my Caracal. The co rod locker is the first thing I would change on the Caracal. I like the idea but it’s just to tight of a space. The worst part, having the rod locker also makes the rod storage above the locker also very tight. Without the locker, there would be tons of room for a nice rod rack system for the co angler. Maybe leave an open space running under the back deck for some of the rod tips to go, which is where the rod tubes currently go for the locker. I really like my Caracal but this change would be a big improvement, the rod locker is pretty much wasted space, it doesn’t get used.

The theory on the passenger locker is for your youth or spouses personal space to stow rods. Giving them a spot to put a few items where they have a feeling of belonging instead of sharing. It also allows a place for co-anglers to stow those extra 2-4 rods they are not going to use today.

Passanger rod locker is good for two boat bumpers and ropes

The boat does sit high on the trailer and theres a bit of a learning curve to loading it back up too but didnt take long to figure out

Day box and front deck lay out will spoil you.. you'll never want another configuration

Draft? boat gets into the same skinny water my sabre and small nitro did. I also have a hydraulic jack plate so I can raise the motor up alot...

The raised floor under the console is nice for the hot foot and helps push yourself into the seat when your holding on for dear life lol

Best thing is you can squish it in a standard 20x20 garage parked diagonally
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

15. Member
    The theory on the passenger locker is for your youth or spouses personal space to stow rods. Giving them a spot to put a few items where they have a feeling of belonging instead of sharing. It also allows a place for co-anglers to stow those extra 2-4 rods they are not going to use today.

16. Member
    I really like the idea of the passenger rod locker. I had one in my original jag and it was useful. At no time did I put rods in it, but I kept the push pole, paddle, light pole and boat fenders in it. It was very handy. I am looking strongly at the Caracal for my next Cat if/when I sell my Puma and enjoy reading the various opinions on her.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Blue76 View Post
    The hull is crazy DEEP... I don't think I have ever been in a boat that deep. The seats are not real low it is almost like you are sitting in a chair at a normal chair height. I kind of liked that part... a little strange to have the hot foot up on a pedestal above the floor but I could get used to it.
    Greg
    BCB, Is the Caracal hull deeper in design than say a Cougar or is it the way the interior is designed?

18. Member
    Is there a motor combo that works best on the Caracal? The guy at baitshack said he thought the Fury 4 blade made a huge difference when running the Mercury... just curious if a SHO or G2 performed better with that hull.

Greg
    Last edited by Blue76; 10-11-2017 at 09:14 AM.

The Caracal hull is deeper than the normal 20' models, which are also deeper than the 18' and 19' versions. They are sequential in depth range variation from the Caracal, to the Lynx and then the Jaguar with each being deeper. The Lynx bow does make it appear deeper, though the Jaguar is the deepest.

Motor combos are best left to the owners preference as we have no preference in what anyone owns. You will find more Mercury and then Yamaha in stock due to our dealership engine popularity.

The Caracal hull is deeper than the normal 20' models, which are also deeper than the 18' and 19' versions. They are sequential in depth range variation from the Caracal, to the Lynx and then the Jaguar with each being deeper. The Lynx bow does make it appear deeper, though the Jaguar is the deepest.
    Interesting. Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast