Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue76 View Post
    I stopped by a dealer today and got to climb around in a Caracal. Really liked the boat but I do see where in another post someone was saying the co angler didn't have much room for his gear in the floor. With a tackle bag in the floor there isn't much room for your feet... BUT... there is a very larger co angler rod box with a lot of storage in that. I wont pay 60 grand to make a co angler happy but it would be a bonus.

The hull is crazy DEEP... I don't think I have ever been in a boat that deep. The seats are not real low it is almost like you are sitting in a chair at a normal chair height. I kind of liked that part... a little strange to have the hot foot up on a pedestal above the floor but I could get used to it.

Storage was plenty although the outside lockers on the deck are shallow as are the rear lockers compared to my Ranger. The triangle live wells looked nice... I didn't see the issue I read about... I think they are a plus.

you must use the step to get up on the front deck... I am 6'2" and that is a big step for me without them.... Did I mention that hull is deep? :)

The boat looks HUGE for a 19- 8" boat... I had to go get my tape measure I thought there was no way that boat was 21'- 10" with the motor down but is actually measured slightly under than. That is the exact same measurement as my Ranger 188 VX but a foot longer boat...

It would also take some getting used to having all those different lockers... A guy could spend his day opening and closing lids if he wasn't organized well.

Wonder if Bass cat will go to those slam latches Phoenix is using on their premium boats in 2018? That is about the only thing I see that I like better.

Sitting on the trailer the boat was a foot higher at the gunnels than my Ranger... maybe that is why it looked so big...

Fit and finish was amazing... trailer looked rock solid.

Probably my next boat.

Greg
    Woah so I have a Ranger 188vs with a Yamaha 175 HPDI and 6" Bob's hydraulic jack plate, I have literally inches to spare in my garage. The engine is about two inches from the back wall work bench, the tongue might be 10 inches from the garage door and I have to park it between two support beams with about 4 inches on each side (6 tops but I don't think so). Are you telling me a new Caracal would fit in that spot?

2. Member
    My caracal with tounge swung to the side and proxs down measured 22'4"

The factory can also custom build a trailer to fit in many locations.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The Caracal hull is deeper than the normal 20' models, which are also deeper than the 18' and 19' versions. They are sequential in depth range variation from the Caracal, to the Lynx and then the Jaguar with each being deeper. The Lynx bow does make it appear deeper, though the Jaguar is the deepest.
    I am being told the Caracal will float shallower then the 20 ft models even though it is deeper. Any truth to that?
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Woah so I have a Ranger 188vs with a Yamaha 175 HPDI and 6" Bob's hydraulic jack plate, I have literally inches to spare in my garage. The engine is about two inches from the back wall work bench, the tongue might be 10 inches from the garage door and I have to park it between two support beams with about 4 inches on each side (6 tops but I don't think so). Are you telling me a new Caracal would fit in that spot?
    I put a tape measure on a Caracal and it was 21-10" with a Pro XS... folded and motor down. That is the exact measurement of my 188VX with a 6" Jackplate folded and motor down. The Caracal looks way bigger than my 188 but the tape measure doesn't lie.

This is critical to me as I don't have any room to spare in my garage. I am 1/2" from the wall and about 2" from the garage door track at the tongue with it folded.... super tight.

Greg

I feel that BassCat does an outstanding job of minimizing required storage space by how they design their trailer and how the boat sits on it. I have a 21' garage and I am able to fit my 20'4" Cougar into it. Granted, I had to build a small doghouse out the back to accommodate the motor, but I am still extremely happy to be able to get a 20' bassboat straight into my garage without having to angle it! When I researched the posted specs for other manufacturer's 20' boats, the length requirements for just the boat and trailer all exceeded 21'. BCB allowed me to garage a 20 footer without the expense of a bigger garage to do it.

7. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rlb8s View Post
    I am being told the Caracal will float shallower then the 20 ft models even though it is deeper. Any truth to that?
    I went from a CougarFTD to a Caracal. I don't think there is any difference in how shallow they will float. I've had both in 18" of water, or maybe a bit less. Of course how much is in the boat will effect that too.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

We do minimize the required space for storage. Seen easily in the hull slots for fenders to keep the boats lower on the trailers. We put it all together fo maximizing space.

The offset for the engine and splash well added (built) into the back of a Ranger hull adds length without a benefit for that body. You gain nothing usable in the boat and it appears bigger, whereas the design on a Bass Cat hull and splash well adds to the rear deck and usable deck space on top. The inset engine with jack plate integrated gives you more body, obviously at a higher cost.

9. Member
    Hi Greg, lets get to get together. I'll let you drive mine and we can spend some time fishing as well.
    BTW, Carters lake is on my bucket list

Also, Dealer up here has a 2016 leftover with a Evinrude HO 225.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GRR884; 10-12-2017 at 03:35 PM.
    Basscat!

10. Member
    Sent you a PM... Carter is a pretty lake but tough. If you wanted to come down that would be awesome. I would certainly help you out with fuel. We could take a shot at Carter's. When you find those spotted bass they can be awesome. Some big spots in that lake. I have a couple buddies that know the lake well and could probably point us in the right direction.

Greg

11. Member
    Glad you guys got together. 2 trips are in order, one now for the ride (with some fishing at Chick or Nickajack), and then back to Carters in February or March for a legit shot at a 5 lb. Coosa spotted bass.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12