2000 FICHT Lower Unit

Serial number: E225FPLSSC

I took the boat out yesterday after replacing the fuel lines and I noticed that when I shifted into reverse there was a "clanking" noise at idle. It seemed to disappear as I moved the shifter further back and increased the throttle. Lower unit sounded fine in forward. So I'm guessing my shift cable got out of adjustment when I was working on the fuel lines. Does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis?

Does anyone have directions or possibly a video on how to adjust the shift cable on this engine? This isn't the first time it's came out of adjustment, so I need to learn to fix it myself.

Thanks!

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Remove the cable from the trunion cradle, while spinning the prop with your foot move the linkage to reverse to lock the prop in reverse. Move the linkage to neutral, spin the prop again while shifting to forward. Then back to neutral. Repeat this several times finally stopping back at neutral. Use the black trunion knob on the cable to adjust the knob so it slips easily into the cradle without the linkage moving. Place the cable keeper over the cradle and secure it. That's how you adjust the shift cable.

3. Member
    Thank you!