Banned

Boat Trailer Bunk Repairs.

I'm removing and replacing all the boat trailer bunks on my Stratos boat trailer. Realizing simplification would have been to replace bunks with pre-made and carpeted bunks but I preferred to use a little better quality materials for the bunks. I'll be using treated 2X4 wood and marine grade carpet along with appropriate size galvanized lag bolts and swivel style brackets. I would surely appreciate any further advise or suggestions I might follow in carrying out this task.

2. Member
    The only change I would make is use stainless steel lag bolts instead of galvanized. Galvanized will eventually rust once the coating wears off. However, the galvanized might last 15 years maybe, depending on how good the galvanized process they used.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    The only change I would make is use stainless steel lag bolts instead of galvanized. Galvanized will eventually rust once the coating wears off. However, the galvanized might last 15 years maybe, depending on how good the galvanized process they used.
    Stainless will rust with current treated lumber. Best choice is hot-dipped galvanized intended for use in treated wood.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Had better luck with stainless vs galvanized.
    Would recommend SS or monel carpet staples -- hard to find in some places but worth it IMO.
    Better results by leaving the bottom side uncovered along with the area where the board comes in contact with the brackets..everything dries much quicker = less rust and less prone to blister a hull.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just my preferences:
    Treat and/or paint the bunk boards vs pressure treated decking material.
    Sailrite boat blanket material vs carpet - retains much less water, dries quicker and intended for use contacting gelcoat.
    If using galvanized brackets use all galvanized hardware.
    Monel staples - they are marine grade.
    Do not cover bottom of board - drains and dries much better. If concerned about appearance, wrap just enough to staple or paint board to match cover color.
    Get an power stapler. With a manual you need second hand to keep pressure. With power stapler second hand can hold material in place and your hands will thank you.

6. Banned
    Thanks guys for the insight and information. I am using treated 2X4 lumber and was informed to use the galvanized lag bolts. Thing is I couldn't find the size I needed to attache the swivel brackets to both the bunks and the trailer. One thing suggested was to apply an additional layer of carpet material to the area which will be contacting the boat. I have done that today by applying adhesive to the 2X4 and to a 3 1/2" strip of the carpet I will use to cover the bunks. I had replaced the carpet on these bunks within a year of when I bought the boat due to poor quality of the trailer bunks. As far as attaching the carpet to the bunks, I used 3/8" staples. These staples did work and as of today and after being in place for the past 8-9 years and still hold I will use the same technique. I am considering applying external carpet adhesive to the sides of the treated 2X4 along with the use of the staples. Thanks again guys for the response to my inquiry.
    Last edited by Heelman99; 10-05-2017 at 09:08 PM.

7. Banned
    Got-er-done! Finished the bunks this afternoon. Will check and make fine adjustments when get boat back from shop.