Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Skeeter zx carpet

This winter I am going to replace the carpet in the boat as well as recover all of my seats. What weight carpet did skeeter use for their boats?
    Would you add padding on the front deck?
    I always fish with shoes on but is the padding that beneficial?

2. Member
    get the padding. it is amazing the difference and I don't fish bare foot either.

3. Member
    Should be 20 oz on the carpet and I would pad the whole deck. I dislike standing on the edge of the pad and feeling an uneven surface underfoot

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K.D. View Post
    Should be 20 oz on the carpet and I would pad the whole deck. I dislike standing on the edge of the pad and feeling an uneven surface underfoot
    Thanks for the carpet weight. I planned to carpet the whole front deck, compartment lids as well.

5. Member
    im seriously thinking of getting rid of the carpet where the seating is. that seems to catch all the debris as it never really drains all the junk. I guess some non-skid, non-black epoxy spread would work?

6. Member
    Does the 20 oz allow all the compartment lids to close easily...

7. Member
    I just ordered from Seadek. you may want to take a look

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwp777 View Post
    I just ordered from Seadek. you may want to take a look
    Are you doing the whole boat in seadek? If so I am curious how you did the compartment lids.
    Last edited by fxdwgkd; 10-06-2017 at 02:44 PM.

9. Member
    not the entire boat (yet) but simply the floor. it is 5mm thick so I doubt very seriously it will wrap around the edges. when and if it ever gets to that point, I will probably just do the top sides and paint the edges if they are not already

10. Member
    Just did a complete zx 250 bought marine grade carpet from upholstery shop have a sharp upholstery knife and a lot of time you have to slice corners to wrap around corners looked great went to upholstery shop to pick up seats and asked how much he would have charged he said $500 I should of paid him and I am a body man by trade.Make sure you remove all glue where lids mate skeeters are tight

11. Member
    Have a good friend who does custom upholstery on hotrods and muscle cars for people. He is going to do the carpet install, I will do the hard part of removing and prepping everything
    He is doing the seats. Also going to remove the black side panel by the pass seat and make a custom zx250 panel and making the rod ramp into a long shallow storage compartment just for the net.
    Should be sweet when he gets done with it. Going to try and fi d a good looking wrap for the windshield also

12. Member
    you don't have to remove all the glue as the new glue will activate the old stuff, or so I'm told.
    I pulled the flooring carpet out, scraped and then wiped down w/ acetone. I had to grind the heads of over 20 stainless screws to get them flush with the floor. I called Skeeter and they said not to remove them so grinding was the only resort.
    I didn't want to have them wear a hole in the new foam padding. I hope to get it this week and thankfully the old carpet came out in 1 piece so I can have a great template to use

13. Member
    Where were those screws you are talking about?

14. Member
    under the carpet I pulled up where you sit and put your feet in the floor

skeeter said not to remove them

15. Member
    Thanks, were any of them visible prior to removing the carpet?
    I have some visible screws behind the driver and pass seats along the edge of the back deck

16. Member
    The screws your seeing secure the deck to the aluminum subfloor.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

17. Member
    no, they were not visible nor did I ever feel them

skeeter said they were there during the bonding process as I hope they are not still needed. that would be a poorly designed structure to use 23 small screws to hold the floor together.

18. Member
    All seats are off and at the upholstery shop. Have not pulled the trigger on the carpet yet. Just got some seadek samples and trying to figure out how to ot if possible to bend them around the compartment lids

19. Member
    the seadek isn't designed to do the edges, just the top. I would leave the carpet on the front/rear deck but i'm glad I did the seadek in the floor.

20. Member
    Yeah, looks like it would split after a short period of time if it was bent over at such a tight angle. Thought about cutting it long and melting the seems together like we used to do with door seals. Gonna play with the samples a bit and see if I can figure something out, IF not oh well the samples were free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast