Garmin 73dv(non chirp)transducer options

Got an older 73dv non chirp model. Came with a gt-20 transducer I believe. Want to switch the transducer to a shoot thru hull model so I can get a depth reading while on plane. Don’t want transducer installed on the transom, had too many break off or throw weird rooster tails. What are my options, model # s ??

Thanks in advance

2. Member
    I don't think there is an option that will work for your situation. The only Y cable option at this time is with the GT30 which is 12 pin and does both Side and Down. I think you have an either/or situation. You can do the shoot thru, maybe or you can use the GT20. Todd will have to say whether the GT8 or GT15 IH models will work with your unit. If they will, you'll need an adapter cable to match. Sorry. Not much help.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

With the DV models, the x and y cables that allow use of inhull 2D and transom-mount Side/ClearVu GT30 simultaneously are not compatible. So, if you wanted to maintain your DV (ClearVu) capability, there is no option available besides the transom-mounted GT20 (dv won't work inhull). Or, you can use the inhull P72 or P79 for 2D traditional, but then have no DV.
    Garmin Pro Team

Attach one of the Plates (the name escapes me at the moment) to the bottom of your jackplate that covers the space/opening at the bottom and then install the transducer to the bottom of the plate. It's protected, no roostertail, and a good chance you won't lose bottom.
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

5. Member
    Thanks to those that responded, think the p72 is the one I was looking for. Just want to read depth while on plane, unit will be used for just mapping so 2d will be fine. Thanks again I knew I would find the answer here.