Cobra Battery Compartment Question

Hey guys, I took the old batteries out of my 201D a couple of days ago and underneath them on one side I found that that floor was soft, and that the piece of wood below the fiberglass floor had rotted away for the most part. I believe this is due to that fact that a battery had been leaking there for a long time before I got the boat.

I was just wondering if anyone knows what is below the batteries on Cobras? It looked like to me that there was the fiberglass layer, a piece of plywood (which is now rotted), and then a lot of foam under that.

I was thinking that if it is indeed just that piece of wood and foam under the batteries that I could fix the problem with pourable 2 part foam and just fill that space.
    On the other hand, if there is a large amount of structural wood under the batteries I guess all I could do would be to pour some West Systems 105 epoxy down there and hope for the best.
    I am aware of the state of the rest of the wood in the boat, but thats a problem id rather not think about right now

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

2. Member
    I just finished repairing my cobra with the same issue. Give me a call and I can explain what I did. 806-236-258one.
    Leonard

I have the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebigmouth View Post
    I just finished repairing my cobra with the same issue. Give me a call and I can explain what I did. 806-236-258one.
    Leonard
    Any chance you'd want to post your fix here? That way we'd all learn and have it available for the future.

Tom

5. Member
    I too have the same issue. I just upgraded my crank battery and started to predrill the holes for the new battery tray and the drillbit literally went through the fiberglass will little to no effort. It’s a 2001 201. At first I thought they must of went light on the fiberglass during the manufacturing, but now it has me a little worried.

6. Member
    This spring I did a total overhaul on my battery compartment. I have a 2001 201 coosa. I started the project with plans to just add a battery (another optima parrelled for my graphs). It turned in to alot more. The port side floor under the batteries was soft in the center but had good wood out near the edges. I added 3/4 marine plywood to both sides where the batteries set. I also got rid of the flimsy composite plate that covers the pumps and such in the hull. I used 1/4 aluminum plate for that. I now have 5 batteries in the back. 3 for my ultrex and two optimas for my graphs and such. Its a tight fit but works great and I have had no issues at all. I still have pictures if anyone is interested. Not sure it if this is any help but it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mfbassin View Post
    This spring I did a total overhaul on my battery compartment. I have a 2001 201 coosa. I started the project with plans to just add a battery (another optima parrelled for my graphs). It turned in to alot more. The port side floor under the batteries was soft in the center but had good wood out near the edges. I added 3/4 marine plywood to both sides where the batteries set. I also got rid of the flimsy composite plate that covers the pumps and such in the hull. I used 1/4 aluminum plate for that. I now have 5 batteries in the back. 3 for my ultrex and two optimas for my graphs and such. Its a tight fit but works great and I have had no issues at all. I still have pictures if anyone is interested. Not sure it if this is any help but it may be.
    Post the pics please! I'd like to see the setup.

Tom

8. Member
    I am having issues with getting photos downloaded. I have a couple videos as well. Shoot me a text at 8122309195 and I can send you what I have.

Here's pics fro Mfbassin.

Tom

Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    Sorry guys but I did not take any photos. I pretty much did what mfbassin did. I cut out wood/glass under batteries (leaving about 1 1/2" around perimeter). Foam was wet so I propped a hair dryer in the compartment and let it run for several days (moving it around as needed). I cut plywood underlayment (about 5/16" thick) to fit as a patch. I coated the plywood with epoxy resin and let cure before I epoxied it in place. I then felt like more would be better (that's how I am) so I added 3/4" red oak lumber above my plywood patch. All is epoxied in with glass cloth around perimeter. It is now very solid and waterproof. Plus with the extra thickness the battery tray screws will not penetrate into the foam area below. With no screw holes hopefully all will stay dry down there in the future. The downside is that I lost some clearance between the batteries, etc. and the deck. It is a little tight but it does fit. I also redid the lower panel above the pumps and the vertical panel towards the livewells. Epoxy resin coated on all sides of panels and repainted everything. If I did it again I would skip the plywood and just do the 3/4" hardwood.

11. Member
    Thanks for sharing what you guys did to your snakes. Looks like a winter time project for me.

12. Member
    Last winter is when I did mine. Its not as bad as it seems but well worth the trouble.

Where did you put your oil container?

14. Member
    I just left mine where it was. The optimas fit right in front of it. It is all a tight fit however. I wish there was more room in the battery compartment but I managed.