Thread: High Rpm's

High Rpm's

I was running my boat the other day and I noticed it was running really high Rpm's with very little trim of the engine. I have a 150 and it's rated at 5600 Rpm's. I normally do around 58 mph at 5600, but I was only getting around 45 at 5600. I was getting close to 5300 without trimming at all, once I trimmed even the slightest it would be over 5600 in a second. Also I had no loss in power. It would still jump right on plane and the engine never rev'd up. Any ideas before I take it to a dealer??
    2019 19trx w/ 225 V8 Pro XS

2. Member
    Try this, look at the back of your tach and find the selector switch, note current position, with a small screwdriver rotate the switch back and forth a few times but do not go beyond the limits. Return switch to original position then run your engine and report back.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Try this, look at the back of your tach and find the selector switch, note current position, with a small screwdriver rotate the switch back and forth a few times but do not go beyond the limits. Return switch to original position then run your engine and report back.
    Phil's right on the money here... sounds like a TACH problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Sounds good. Hoping to get out Saturday so I will give that a try and let you know. Thanks!
    2019 19trx w/ 225 V8 Pro XS

5. Member
    Were there any alarm going off? I had that same problem once and mine turned out to be low on oil. How crazy could that be? 2002 90hp merc. alarm going off tach'ed at over 6000 RPM's and I'm running less than 30 mph. When I got back to weigh in a merc guy told me check my oil level, yep, 2 to 3 inches in the reservoir. Not enough he tells me. Filled it up and never had an issue again.