Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Recommended AGAINST buying a 2 stroke??!!!???

Ok guys...this is prolly my final PRE Purchase question......i think its gonna happen this week!!!!!!!!

SO...I found a boat. 2007 tracker. I was calling around to some (recommended) mechanics regarding prepurchase inspection....and I talked to the mechanic at the local "TRACKER AUTHORIZED DEALER" who I was actually hoping to use since he was at an "authorized dealer" location.

He was asking about the boat. yada yada yada....he asked about the motor. I told him i wasnt sure, but that i think its 2 stroke. (after talking to owner, elderly gentleman not in the best health, i am VERY sure it is a 2 stroke. He said there is a gas, and oil container for the motor) WELL....the boat mechanic told me he WOULD NOT inspect, or work on a 2 stroke motor. He told me outright that he wouldnt recommend buying a tracker with a 2 stroke, but that a 4 stoke was "good for life."

I was from Day 1 (been searching a few months) expecting and planning on a 2 stroke....i even considered 1990s boats! lol I was really taken aback by the fact that this guy said he would not inspect or do any work if it was a 2 stroke. I already went online....and it looks like parts are NOT impossible to come by and can be acquired pretty easily when needed. I am wondering....and kinda suspecting....the reason the mechanic took the stance is more of a liability issue, and prolly has as much to do with his location/shop being a "Tracker Authorized Dealer" than 2 stroke motors being bad purchases.

So what do you all think? Do i need to stay away from 2 strokes....or even worry about buying a 2 stroke? I always thought 2 strokes were easier to work on....and finding parts were the biggest challenge. Let me know....hoping for quick answers....cuz if you all let me know the guy was a Jabroni for telling me to stay away from 2strokes, im buying this bad boy on THURSDAY!!!!!!

That "guy" wouldn't be my mechanic....

I have a 1993 2 stroke and have no problem finding parts or people to work on it.

Tom

3. Banned
    LMAO

Well consider my surprise when i was 110% planning for and expecting a 2 stroke! Dude made it seem like the plague! lol

Cool man.....i think its finally freaking happening! 2004 tracker here I come!

4. Member
    My mechanic will work on them but he, nor his father (other mechanic) nor the owner of the marina recommend the 2 strokes anymore.

I find it odd that this guy wouldn't work on a 2 stroke but if you read through all of the pages here, you'll quickly realize that 4 strokes have caught up performance wise to 2 strokes and are supposed to be much more dependable.

5. Banned
    I understand....and somewhat agree. If money was no issue....i would aim for a 2010 tracker, where I hear the 4 strokes became more standard (?). The guy telling me NOT to buy it had me surprised. I really think it had more to do with the fact that they are the only "Tracker Authorized Dealer" within several hundred miles, and theyre towing the company line.

My budget was $4k, and Im spending $5k.......everything I saw closer to the 2010/4 stroke range was about 7-10k. So I was always settled on 2 stroke....and wasnt too bummed out since I heard 2 stokes are easier for a "normal" guy to work on, plus the possibility of maxing out those 50 hp on the motor to get me on plane a bit quicker.

So its not the plague tho right? Im not throwing away my money buying a 2 stroke? Cuz thats how I felt after talking to the guy lol

I didn't know that 2 strokes were so out of favor that a "Tracker Authorized Dealer" won't even look at them. If Nitro/Tracker has discontinued all 2 stroke motor on their boat then it's news to me. I think your mechanic had a bad burrito for lunch. I'd shop around for another technical advisor.

I wouldn't shy away from a 2 stroke at all...in fact that's all I've ever had. I'm sure most boat owners have had many 2 strokes and the vast majority had no problems at all with them. If I were buying a new boat, I might consider a 4 stroke but would probably be leaning toward a 2. My 11 year old Optimax has performed flawlessly since new.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

7. Member
    What brand of 2 stroke motor? I know early-mid 2000's evinrudes were known to blow up left and right.

I actually tried getting my current boat with a evinrude instead of the Yamaha but i couldn't justify the extra cost since Yamaha and xpress have some deal going on. There is nothing wrong with a 2stroke!
    2017 Xpress H20B
    115 Yamaha SHO

He would not touch any product of mine ever! Not after a stance like that. He surely could have gave you a big disclaimer and then done whatever you asked. And he could have just worked on what ever. Makes me think he won't give it an honest try cause he doesn't like them. Who says next week so and so's 115 four stoke doesn't suck and there garbage, I only like working on 150's....
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

9. Banned
    Pretty sure the Trackers all come with 4 strokes as the standard engine now, however the Nitro's still has Optimax as the standard motors, so 2 strokes aren't dead with White River Marine Group. I did notice that Legend hasn't been added to the brands they own yet.

10. Member
    Two strokes can be cold hearted to start but they are beasts. Take care of them and they'll be bullet proof for reliability.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    You don't have to worry too much about this guys thoughts. Just have the motor checked out before buying by a REPUTABLE mechanic and buy what suits you.

But seriously, if he outright refuses to work on an outboard because it is a 2 stroke, you need to find another mechanic. If say the 2 stroke is an Evinrude and they are a Merc dealer, that's a different story but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Two strokes can be cold hearted to start but they are beasts. Take care of them and they'll be bullet proof for reliability.
    Agree with you all.....and aside from me not having a tow package on my truck and that delaying me a bit......im buying it! I called the gentleman today to tell him i was 100% in if he would hold it for me for a couple days.

Ecobb....thats 100% my understanding and hopes! Im not claiming to know boat motors or anything like that....but I do know a FULLY FUNCTIONING stock 50hp 2Stroke will outrun a stock 50HP 4 stroke 10 times out of 10. At least thats my understanding....hope I dont look totally stupid throwing that out there! lol

Already got a new guy and plans laid out. Im gonna give the guy the benefit of the doubt.....he was towing the company line 100%....but he did hesitate at times during his 2 stroke bashing! lol maybe it was self preservation more than anything! lol

Just hope this old dude doesnt get someone to pick it up before me! Friday looks like my day......will post pics if all works out.

13. Member
    I would buy a 2 stroke today and not think twice

Also if your not aware of this- Mercury no longer has a 2 stoke smaller than at least a 150, and tracker is partnered with merc, so no more two strokes going on the smaller boats.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

15. Member
    Marine mechanic that will not work on 2 strokes. He will be starving before long. But I would not let him work on mine. All I have ever ran is a 2 stroke. Like everything else you take care of it. It will last. Just run 100% gas

i have a 2004 stratos 160 J (bass boat) with a 40 2 stroke ....not one problem, a little finicky for starting but runs great.
    also a 1992 ranger with a 175 2 stroke so far i love them. i think you should not go back to the guy.

17. Member
    Bear in mind you don't have to take your boat to a "tracker authorized dealer" since it is long out of warranty. Just find a reputable shop with a mechanic certified for your motor brand and give them your business.

Agree with that except for the fact that mine starts with less than 2 seconds of turning the key.
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

Depends on what 2 stroke you're talking about. In 11 years with my Optimax, I have never turned the key more that once to start it.

Except for the 3 dozen times I had pulled the motor cutoff cord out when I stood up.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

20. Banned
    old man is postponing things for medical reasons...but its still there.

Havent done compression test or let mechanic have at it yet....but it started. Only thing is that the old man was spraying "Ether" into the motor when I would turn the key. Im guessing its starting fluid?

Should I be worried that he was doing that to start it up? He also told me that the boat has been sitting for the last 6 years. I was kinda hoping maybe he was using that stuff since its older gas and oil? Aside from this....the motor was clean and started up and ran with a hose. Waiting on old man to feel better then gonna meet mechanic and lake test it to make it official

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast