Thread: What prop

What prop

I have a 98 mariner 300 super mag been running a25 pitch power tech tro 4 since I got my boat pulls strong my wife fishes with me and she don't like speed in a boat went to run my 28 pitch hydro motive q4 ot by myself this weekend was having trouble out of jackplate and a pump leaking didn't get to stay long but prop really lugged the engine down when it did break over the prop would blow out don't know if it's a problem with the prop or an engine issue I would think the engine should have no problem spinning a 28 pitch prop any suggestions waiting on seals for jackplate before I take it out again

2. RIP -April 30,2023
    what gears are in lower unit? you need alot of ventalation with that supermag. does the hydro have pvs holes in it?

3. Member
    I've got a 30 bravo that pulls like a freight train out of the hole. If we can arrange a time to meet you are welcome to try it and see how it does. Venting is the key. I'm running 1.75 years and if I remember correctly yours are as well.

4. Member
    You should take him up on his offer. With 1.75 gears, a 30" bravo should fly on your rig. (For some reason, a 30" Bravo will holeshot better than the 26 through 29 Bravos)

5. Member
    Has 1.75 gears prop has 4 holes with no plugs the holes are not real big should I send prop out to have more vent holes added sound s good on meeting with you and trying your prop I appreciate the offer I'm waiting on parts for jackplate as soon as I get them on and have it working right I will get with you will have to leave my wife at home if she goes we will be under sixty need to see how well this promax is Gona run

6. Member
    My bravo has 8 holes. 4 are about 1" and the other 4 are about 5/8" and all are open. With my jackplate all the way down I'm 1.25" below pad and the engine revs to 4000rpm and holds that until it breaks over on plane and has no surging or bogging. The only time I get blowout is if I leave the plate up at an inch or more above pad and try to take off.

7. Member
    Is there any body around the Memphis area that works on props who can add the holes

8. Member
    I'm not sure about around Memphis. My prop guy is in Iuka.

9. Member
    Could I get his number that's close enough

10. Member
    with that motor .. turning like a 30p proformer 4 or 3 blade should be a all around good prop

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdparrish View Post
    Could I get his number that's close enough
    662-423-9588

12. Member
    Brandon are you still Gona get top gun

13. Member
    i leave in like 8 hours to meet him with check in hand O.o... i got to get to selling some boats or something

i really hate selling boats tho .. i regret it every time i do

14. Member
    Hope everything works out like the colors on your boat you have now top gun is nice also

15. aka Strokedyamaha StrokerSmoker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zzzmastermind View Post
    i leave in like 8 hours to meet him with check in hand O.o... i got to get to selling some boats or something

i really hate selling boats tho .. i regret it every time i do

I knew youd be back in a stroker lol

Hi performance parts or a Yamaha power head visit
    Hydro-Tec's web site @ http://www.yamaha-rebuild.com/
    Paul Hottman Hydro-Tec's Pro staff since 1998

16. Member
    The hydro has 4. 5/8 holes for venting not enough what size holes should I have them drilled out to

17. Member
    Is this the ot version? If so the hub is smaller in dia which allows the prop to vent more (ot=over/thru exhaust), I haven't played with many OT props. Todd at Hydro sent me one to try but it wasn't any faster than the props I already owned. On my q4xob's I had 8 pvs holes and needed more venting. I ended up removing the 3/4" flare rings and opened up the front holes (closest to gear case) to slots that are approx 1" X 1 1/4". I opened the holes up on a bridgeport mill. These props will spin up to 5000 rpm with no surging. I run a 300xs. This may be a little extreme but it works for me in the clouds.
    The hydro has 4. 5/8 holes for venting not enough what size holes should I have them drilled out to

18. Member
    It is the ot

It is the ot
    Smaller tube, over through exhaust, similar to the Merc Pro Max. Good wheel but not for Dean where he is

20. RIP -April 30,2023
    marine propeller warehouse in longview tx is the guy i use. i have 2 props that was built by another guy (billy) that are awesome. thats the only 2 folks id use.