Guntersville Pointers -- Oct. 16 to Oct 19

Going to Guntersville with my father. We will be fishing during the week to avoid all the boat traffic. If any one has any suggestions or pointers I would gladly accept them. We will be bass fishing and will have the ability to run the lake. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

2. Member
    We've fished Guntersville the last few years but are changing it up this year and going to a couple of different TVA lakes. If you hit them right it can be loads of fun. We just haven't been there at the right time the last few years I guess. But here goes. We've stayed in a house in the Scottsboro area and fished Comer Bridge and Jones/Boy Scout Creek. At the bridge we fished jigs on the channel ledges and did well if the are there. We also fished the grass in the back of Jones Creek. Again if they are there it's a blast. We fished frogs, rattlebaits and swim jigs. Occasionally they will hit swimbaits. Lastly, we also fished the docks on the other side (across the river) of Jones Creek. We skipped plastics and jigs. We actually caught some big fish under those docks. Good luck and let us know how you do.

3. Member
    We were there last week fishing a two day tournament. We caught ours on frogs, texas rig old monster worms, and pop-r. The winning stringers came from the Goose Pond area on frogs, and flipping. Hope that helps.

4. Member

G-vile help

Thanks for the pointers.

Quote Originally Posted by soweganole78 View Post
    We were there last week fishing a two day tournament. We caught ours on frogs, texas rig old monster worms, and pop-r. The winning stringers came from the Goose Pond area on frogs, and flipping. Hope that helps.

5. Member
    I've fished there this time of year for about 20 years and it's been hit or miss on Sows pattern. I'll throw a Super Spook Jr vs the pop-R. Try the spook at various times all day over scattered grass. I'm going down the 14th coming home after the morning bite the 16th. Not fishing big bass bash or anything, just going fishing with a friend. I'll stay from Jones to Church Island. Enjoy that lake no matter if the fish are biting or not.

I normally manage something on an ole monster off the mats back in the creeks. Use 12 pound test and as light a weight as you can get away with. I prefer the little scum frog popping frog, just a confidence thing. Troy Jens also threw that one a bunch. That alone should tell you how good it is on that lake!

6. Member
    How will the tropical storm affect things?

Topwater was the deal today! When the low pressure bottoms out it will be on. Pine island mat is really broke down but still plenty of mats around.Water temps today 70 to 77.
    Kerry Copeland
    2015 Skeeter ZX250/250 SHO
    Decatur, Alabama

I have had better luck on top water with a chug n spook than a standard one. Also, visit a local tackle shop and get Tightline swim jigs in Guntersville special.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Thanks for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    I have had better luck on top water with a chug n spook than a standard one. Also, visit a local tackle shop and get Tightline swim jigs in Guntersville special.

10. Member
    The challenge with top water fishing is finding clean water......no floating eel grass.

11. Member
    How did you do? Leaving in the morning for a week and naturally the weather looks awful.

12. Member
    We just got back today and had a struggle everyone was having trouble. Could not get a frog bite water was 70 after sun was out. Fog was horrible would not lift till 9:45 or so. Hope your trip was more productive than ours let us know how it turns out.

13. Member
    I'm down now and it was tougher today then I imagined. Had 2 best fish of the day on a frog and spinnerbait. Only caught 1 flippin but fish on numerous topwater baits. Biggest was on frog around 5lb.

14. Member
    Going down this Thursday to hopefully catch some on a frog? Any advice or what part of lake had better mats? Looks like a cold front is coming in Saturday so how will that affect the fish?
    Thanks

15. Member
    Very few frog fish or truly punching fish....spinnerbait and various top wars were best ...caught some on main channel grass and best frog fish was on mat in pocket off main...seibold to goose. My buddt fished towards dam caught few but no size. Worst trip had in years

We caught fish in scattered grass around boat houeses and on points with concrete walls. Nothing over 4 pounds. Lots of 14" bass. Had 5 for 13lbs. Big Bass of our little tourny was 5.81bs. Best bag was 17.5