Helix Shuts Off -- Help!

I got a new Hummingbird Helix 7 for the bow and every time I start the motor, the Helix shuts down. I rewired with 12 AWG and bypassed the fuse panel on the console by adding a 3 amp in-line fuse. The battery is a brand new Interstate and should have plenty of CCA for the sonar and to start my 115 Merc. Weird thing is, after it shuts down, it won't turn back on unless I unhook the connections from the battery and then reconnect them. I moved the sonar connectors to the bottom of the stack (of connectors) and tightened down the hex nut with a wrench. Problem persists...

Not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

John

If your electrical connections are good, your battery is not strong enough to support the unit and engine starting at the same time.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    X 2 on what Wayne said...

The only "work around" would involve adding large size capacitors in the DC circuit very close to the H7's power feed, when you hit the starter the small charge that is stored up on the capacitor plates are used as a "temporary battery" that keeps the unit on while the battery gets a kick in the face from the starter.

The super large "farad" size caps used for huge mobile stereo systems are NOT cost effective, and a guy would be way better off wiring a dozen or more 2200uF/35v capacitors in parallel to try to keep the sonar/GPS unit from "brown out".

Which I believe is locking up the unit, so power must be disconnected.

You also can just get a 12-15 amp hour SLA battery and run only the H7 on that, a Battery Tender Jr. or even cheap .5amp wall charger keeps the sealed lead acid battery happy for years.

Compact & easy - worth thinking about...
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

4. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. Does that Helix draw significantly more power than say a 10 year old Lowrance unit? I wonder if Interstate will let me return the battery for something bigger?

5. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    It draws about 3/4 amp, but the voltage has to be clean & smooth as these are mini computers and can't work right with iffy supply voltages.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Are you charging the cranking battery between trips?

What does the voltage display on the unit read with the motor off? Voltage measured at battery terminals with the motor off?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Are you charging the cranking battery between trips?

What does the voltage display on the unit read with the motor off? Voltage measured at battery terminals with the motor off?

THIS ^^^

Charge the battery. Check Voltage. HDS or Birds have a mininum voltage required to operate.

I had a similar problem with my HDS years ago. Voltage was low.

8. Member
    Thanks, I'll check this. I've never charged my starter battery after every time out before. Does anyone go with a designated battery just for graphs or would that be overkill? I contacted Interstate and they said I could return the battery for something beefier if I need it.

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Juan Grande View Post
    I've never charged my starter battery after every time out before.
    I'd say that is the problem. Rare for an outboard to keep the battery charged.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Thanks, I'll check this. I've never charged my starter battery after every time out before. Does anyone go with a designated battery just for graphs or would that be overkill? I contacted Interstate and they said I could return the battery for something beefier if I need it.

I have never had any problem running my sonars on the starter battery circuit, as long as the battery is
    big enough to take the amperage drain, etc.

However, I have had interference problems with sonars on the trolling motor battery circuit.
    So I don't do that any more.

11. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I'd say that is the problem. Rare for an outboard to keep the battery charged.
    Yup.
    Guaranteed issues, especially with the new breed of power hungry tech we're running now - (From experience) 3 - H12's & an 859DI can beat up a group 29 battery by itself after a while.

H7's don't pull a lot, but if it's under 11 volts - they and more other machines get squirrely and unpredictable.

Put a decent onboard charger on it & be done with it once you determine a fully charged battery works as it should.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

12. Member
    I run a pair of helix 10s on my starter circuit. Never had a problem. But, I also have a 3 bank charger (24v tm) and charge everything overnight prior to use, every time.

13. Member
    I fully charged my starter battery the last time I went out and the Helix didn't shut off when I started the motor. I guess I'll have to get a bank charger for that battery. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it.