idbefishing

Watch out for the new fleet of ISP cars

Nothing to do with fishing but I figured I'd give you guys a head up. It seemed the State Hwy Patrol has changed their fleet of unmarked white and silver Dodge Chargers to brown. I saw numerous pulled overs this past weekend, almost have to donate some myself.

I just assume all chargers are police at this point. And around indy it could be a pickup, mini van, or suv. The pickup was the really sneaky one, had a tool box in the bed. The mini van was pretty sneaky as well now that I think about it.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

3. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I've seen both the mini van and the pick up trucks around the Indy area. Not seen any brown Chargers yet.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

4. idbefishing
    I've not seen the mini van, haven't seen the white F150 in awhile. There are a few Mustangs with the racing stripes. One looks all tricked out like a street racer. These new brown Chargers are very inconspicuous, very hard to tell. The new tactic now is parking on the right shoulder looking like a broken down car.

5. Banned
    When I drive through Indy I just assume all vehicles on the road are ISP... Bastards are everywhere... Dan

6. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by idbefishing View Post
    I've not seen the mini van, haven't seen the white F150 in awhile. There are a few Mustangs with the racing stripes. One looks all tricked out like a street racer. These new brown Chargers are very inconspicuous, very hard to tell. The new tactic now is parking on the right shoulder looking like a broken down car.
    Back in the 70's, I was commuting from Marion to Ball State, working on my Masters degree. The State Police used to park on the shoulder with the trunk up. When they got a speeder, they'd just take off after them, and the truck would close. Sneaky!
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

Sooo, let me get this straight... The Indiana State Police use unmarked and or non traditional vehicles to make Indiana roads safer and enforce traffic laws and some folks feel the need complain. And to then refer to these officer as bastards... Nice. Real nice.

9. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinarc View Post
    Sooo, let me get this straight... The Indiana State Police use unmarked and or non traditional vehicles to make Indiana roads safer and enforce traffic laws and some folks feel the need complain. And to then refer to these officer as bastards... Nice. Real nice.
    Not to disagree with you but why use unmarked cars if the purpose is just to enforce laws? You can't tell me revenue generating isn't one of their reasons. If just to enforce laws then why do they lined up on an on-ramp and dart out onto the highway to catch motorist like a bass hiding behind a dock post snatching unsuspecting shad?

As far as Dan's comment, he's just jealous because Ohio has lower speed limits and the fishing is even worst then Indiana.

The theory behind the use of various marked, semi-marked, and unmarked patrol vehicles is one of voluntary compliance. The motoring public can become conditioned to one certain type of vehicle and would therefore tend to violate basic traffic safety laws until they actually saw a fully marked police vehicle. Under the theory of voluntary compliance, because one may not know what type of vehicle officers are operating, they will make a more conscience effort to obey the basic traffic laws of Indiana to avoid being issued a citation and having to pay the accompanying fine.
    As far as revenue generation, I would encourage you to go to local traffic court divisions and research where the fines collected are distributed to. State law enforcement agencies do not receive any money for the tickets issued and one (1) dollar per ticket is placed in the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Fund. That fund covers the cost and maintenance for the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy in Plainfield, thus further eliminating a financial from the taxpayers of our state.
    As far as the other derogatory comment, I would prefer Dan explain that for himself...

11. Member
    If cops really want you to stop speeding, they would put you in jail vs fining you...but there's no income in that.

12. idbefishing
    Quote Originally Posted by fishinarc View Post
    As far as revenue generation, I would encourage you to go to local traffic court divisions and research where the fines collected are distributed to. State law enforcement agencies do not receive any money for the tickets issued and one (1) dollar per ticket is placed in the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Fund. That fund covers the cost and maintenance for the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy in Plainfield, thus further eliminating a financial from the taxpayers of our state.
    So can you please make it easier and enlightened us with this info if you got it? I've tried googling but turned up not much for IN, there are info for other states but not here. From what I can gathered, while the ISP may not get the funds directly, I'd think they get their from the state since most of the fines go to the state's general fund.

In reference to the above comment of placing people in jail for speeding, it should be noted nearly every traffic violation in the State of Indiana is classed as an infraction. Under Indiana Constitutional Law, only misdemeanors and felonies are jailable offences. Only the most egregious speeding violations rising to the level of reckless driving would permit the offender to be incarcerated. Officers are bound by statutes, not "what they really want", sir.

Concerning the comment asking for enlightenment, sir, you will have to be more specific as to the nature of your obvious confusion. As far as what you gathered concerning "fines going to the general fund", well, you could not be further from the truth. Fine amounts and court costs are set by individual court systems in a jurisdiction by jurisdiction basis. Those monies collected from the penalties remain in that county's coffer's (with the exception of the one dollar collected to maintain the I.L.E.A.) to be used at that county government's discretion. In other words, NO MONEY goes to the State of Indiana, General Fund or otherwise. My best suggestion should you wish to see how those funds are spent would be to take a trip to your local courthouse and inquire of your County Clerk. As I am quite sure you are aware, not all answers can be found in Google.

15. idbefishing
    So you're saying if a person gets a citation from a Hwy Patrol, that person pays the fine to whatever county he/she was cited at?

That would be correct. However, some counties in Indiana may actually have more than one court that handles traffic citations. An example would be the county superior court and a town court might overlap jurisdictions. In that case, the decision of where the ticket is filed is left up to the issuing officer. In either case, however, the law enforcement agency issuing the ticket would not receive any portion of the monetary penalty, sir.