450 Yamaha Kodak/ can-am 450

Looking at buying a new ATV soon. Both are same price just trying to decide which I want. Have had Yamaha all my life But not a can-am. Any problems with either on the new ones?

2. Member
    I'm sure both are good machines. I would ride both and then pick the one you like the best. Also go to the dealer you feel most comfortable with and has better service center.

3. Member
    Last I knew Can Am had a 5 year warranty....What is the warranty on the Yammie??

4. Member
    Can Am's have lots of creaks, squeaks, whines, etc. They seem to do OK, but just don't like the clunky noises they make. You can't beat a Yamaha Ultramatic transmission. The only negative I see on the Kodiak is that it does not have front diff. lock, has 4wd. but just no diff lock.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spinningreel View Post
    Can Am's have lots of creaks, squeaks, whines, etc. They seem to do OK, but just don't like the clunky noises they make. You can't beat a Yamaha Ultramatic transmission. The only negative I see on the Kodiak is that it does not have front diff. lock, has 4wd. but just no diff lock.
    I got to test ride both and plus a Honda 420 and a CFmoto 500. Out of all of them I actually loved the cfmoto and the Yamaha. But the cfmoto had a winch aluminum wheels and power steering which I loved and is 1k less

6. Member
    I bought a new 2017 Yamaha 700 Kodiak EPS. I love that thing. Its a beast of a ATV. I previously owned a Honda 500 Foreman. Its a night and day difference between those two machines. I'd buy another Yamaha in a heartbeat.
    "Montani semper liberi"

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinseed View Post
    I bought a new 2017 Yamaha 700 Kodiak EPS. I love that thing. Its a beast of a ATV. I previously owned a Honda 500 Foreman. Its a night and day difference between those two machines. I'd buy another Yamaha in a heartbeat.
    All I have owned is Yamaha and would love a new one, but trying to see what is available for less than 6k after tax etc. I could get a manual Honda which will have the mono shock like I am use to but after trying an independent suspension plus power steering, it's tough to not pay the extra for it.

I know it isn't the biggest and baddest but the Honda Rancher 420 can be bad with independent rear suspension and DCT transmission for under 6 grand. I have one and like it. Sometimes I wish I had a little more power but I don't know why. It goes everywhere I ask it to.

9. Member
    I have owned lots and I mean lots of atvs in my time, baddest was a 2004 Arctic Cat 650. But if you are really wanting to know which one I would pic, I have one word for you, ROTAX.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

10. Member
    Any one have the Yamaha kodiak 700? If so, do you have any difficulty with the 4wd lever and does the wire to the left grip electrical get in the way of the lever?